Leaving on gimbal guard!!

Reaction score
Gentlemen, as a newbie with just a couple of flights under my belt I'm still finding it tricky to remember to take off the **** gimbal guard when I fire up the pro 3.

I'm wondering though if this is causing any damage as clearly the camera / gimbal does a dance on startup. Today, after forgetting again, I got an error message on dji go. Something about the gimbal motor, perhaps overheating, can't remember now. I flew my mission and video'd but I was working close in on a roof inspection (practicing close in work) and I noticed that the camera wasnt pin point perfect. Perhaps I'm expecting too much close in but obviously I'm worried about doing long term damage to the gimbal motors.

Once back in doors I fired it up again, remembering to take off the guard this time and walked the pro 3 around. Gimbal appears to track OK and lock on more distant objects with reasonable stabilty. No error messages either.

Thoughts guys?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I purchased one of these to make sure I didn't leave it on after reading how many people forget.

Amazon-Remove before flight

I cant give you any information on possible damage to the gimbal though.

Reactions: dirkclod
It says gimbal motor overloaded/obstructed or something like that. No harm done, forget the guard once while i was just messing with settings. Maybe i was just lucky, idk.

Reactions: movius
It's not good to overload gimbal motor but I'm sure built in elections has protected your motor. You got to remember and practice the starting steps and follow them one by one without fail. You can hang a tag or go for different type of gimbal support but you got to remember your steps and sequences well to take support off before battery is turned on.

I believe the best support will be that supports gimbal and blocks the battery button but it doesn't exist so far.

That's why we have remove before flight ribbons on pitot tunbes and wheel chocks painted international orange on real planes.
It happens sometimes.......
Get a remove before flight or any type survey tape tied to gimbal guard/lens cover to help remind you during preflight.

It says gimbal motor overloaded/obstructed or something like that. No harm done, forget the guard once while i was just messing with settings. Maybe i was just lucky, idk.
Yes, that was the message. Thanks for the reminder.

Good points guys. Getting into a routine seems logical with the visual reminders as backup. I guess I was over excited at the possibility of actually being able to fly - we've had (it seems at least) 30 days of rain and storms here in south-west England.

Reactions: snowghost
I did it once and no damage. Got the "Remove Before Flight" after that as well.

How do you know if your gimbal was damaged?
I;ve done it 2 or three times now....never left it running long, only a couple of seconds.
But Im scared.
YEah, I get it: Put a red tag on it.
I don't care about that .
What is the kind of damage it does and how would I notice it?

Use a checklist. Forgetting to take off the gimbal guard is not the worst thing that you can forget...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik