Learning to Fly

Reaction score
Got my P3S Thursday and just had my longest flight. 21 Mins Max Alt 293ft. Just taking it slow and easy. Total Fight time 1hr 56 mins. Love this hobby so far.

Reactions: Neon Euc
It is pretty fun. I've had mine out a few times so far, same approach. If the wind cooperates this weekend, I'm going to push it and see what it can do!

The beauty of the P3 is its fallback that it literally holds your hand. Unlike most other 'drones' and RC - if it detects signal loss etc. - it defaults to come home (as long as you haven't disabled it !).

But there in lies its "achilles heal" .... it can create a false sense of security.

In my view - its good to learn to control it manually so when later there are times when you will get situations where 'manual rescue flight' is called for ... ie flying in amongst trees .... buildings ... at flight sites with other forms of model flying etc.
Manual flying often needs 'finesse' when videoing subjects ... in our club we use the P3's to video club events and shows .. not only in flight but also hand held ! It is a marvelous 'steadycam' when used as this. But manual flight in filming club events calls for flight skill ... orientation when flying away / toward you etc. smooth turns ... etc. because its close in work ... and can be flying UNDER or OVER the subject getting the item such as the pilot while oing 3D ... or his 3D model itself ..

Flying to max range everyone does ... but I put money on table to bet a lot out there cannot fly the P3 that well manually.

You don't even need to switch of P-GPS ... let it help you ...

Just my 2 cents worth.

There's more to flying a P3 than just punching distance ... IMHO ...

Go Enjoy !!

Nigel

After flying traditional RC helicopters, I find quads pretty tame.

I think that's why multi rotors were invented.

All those pussies out there who couldn't fly a real heli if their life depended on it. :)

If you want excitement, fire up a Trex 600 (or larger) !

Last edited:
Just thinking. How cool would this automated gadgetry be on a real heli.

My Trex 600 would be the perfect platform.

After flying traditional RC helicopters, I find quads pretty tame.

I think that's why multi rotors were invented.

All those pussies out there who couldn't fly a real heli if their life depended on it. :)

If you want excitement, fire up a Trex 600 (or larger) !

You know the larger the Heli - the better is to control. I have 450's and they have me worried at times !!

Nigel

You know the larger the Heli - the better is to control. I have 450's and they have me worried at times !!

Nigel

Very true.

I still have a Blade 400 & a couple of Trex 450's (gathering dust sadly). They can be fun.

The worst I ever had was a GWS Dragonfly.

Man, was that little bugger hard to fly !

Last edited:
My 450's are waiting rebuilds after each tried to do 3D while still on the ground !!

My Father many years ago was told by Minister to get a Heli Licence as he was Chief Ops for CAA ... so of he went to friend Alan Bristow ... who gave my Father his Company Man who trained Bristows guys back those years ago.

My Father I can remember at home after sessions saying " Accidents looking for place to happen !"

I don't think he was far wrong !!

Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc and Paul60
My 450's are waiting rebuilds after each tried to do 3D while still on the ground !!

My Father many years ago was told by Minister to get a Heli Licence as he was Chief Ops for CAA ... so of he went to friend Alan Bristow ... who gave my Father his Company Man who trained Bristows guys back those years ago.

My Father I can remember at home after sessions saying " Accidents looking for place to happen !"

I don't think he was far wrong !!

Nigel

Great memories Nigel.

Alan Bristow.

Now I know why the name rang a bell.

What a legend.

Last edited:
I grew up with Freddie Laker ... Alan Bristow ..... Lord Guthrie ... all sorts of family 'friends' ..... mainly because my Father could ground any UK Civil aircraft literally and any crew in those days !

Freddie was actually closer to my Mother ... no they never were an 'item' - but they were pretty close. He was a really nice guy and it was his pioneering work with SkyTrain that basically opened up the skies in travel ... not Easyjet or Ryanair - they just built on his idea.
My Father always said PanAm got their just rewards for allying with BA to 'drown' Laker Airways in debt.

Anyway ... enough about that !!

Nigel

Just thinking. How cool would this automated gadgetry be on a real heli.

My Trex 600 would be the perfect platform.

Don't need it, I know my way home if things go south, but most of my big toys have autopilot as well anyways .... :)

I do a lot of work with Republic Helicopters in Texas and usually sit in the left seat of Bell Rangers etc. .... taking care to keep my feet clear of pedals !!

I am always surprised about the level of 'assistance' the pilot has on them ... compared to our model heli's.

Nigel

Even the Gas Powered/Electric R/C aircraft have stabilization systems available, not sure now if they include GPS and the ability to stop and hover for the R/C Heli's, but righting the AC from an unusual attitude was the norm 3-5 years ago ...

Even the Gas Powered/Electric R/C aircraft have stabilization systems available, not sure now if they include GPS and the ability to stop and hover for the R/C Heli's, but righting the AC from an unusual attitude was the norm 3-5 years ago ...

I have a number of RC aircraft with stabiliser systems added and yes GPS is possible if you want it ... the FPV boys basically pioneered that ... autonomous flight including landing is fully capable on fixed wing RC.

Heli's are another matter though - unlike Multi Rotors which the DJI is - Heli's rarely have more than gyro stability on flybar versions, this basically looks after the tail for you, while the flybar dampens the flght actions ...and the Flybarless Flight Controller systems that do tail and rotor based stability. Hover function is normally done by the guy on the sticks !

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav