Learn from me being dumb and almost crashing.

Reaction score
Flew under an all metal bridge and this guy next to me asked me something so I stop the forward movement to answer while the bird was still under the bridge. What an idiot I am. Next thing I know phantom is headed for a date with the wall (the compass must've went nuts for a moment) But since I've been flying in Philly and it happened to me a few times before I don't panic and just try to regain control which I did and landed it. However as you can see I got lucky and was able to avoid the tree and the jogger you barely see in the video that was 10 feet behind (he was smart and stopped to let the bird pass). Btw flew under that bridge several times a few minutes before this happened just didn't hang under it. To make it clear while the bird was heading for the wall it was still responding to controls that's why I could avoid the tree and stop it from crashing in to the wall eventually. Also of note is that though I was talking to the guy my eyes were on the Phantom hence why I detected weird behavior right away.

Last edited:
Yeah, that questions from strangers... Do not fly alone. I always take my friend, mostly my girlfriend - she is excellent in "Go away please - we are people, not Google. Get lost"

Yeah, that questions from strangers... Do not fly alone. I always take my friend, mostly my girlfriend - she is excellent in "Go away please - we are people, not Google. Get lost"
You're right but I went for a workout first and when the sun got lower wanted to fly so didn't have anyone with me :(

Reactions: tvckz
You're right but I went for a workout first and when the sun got lower wanted to fly so didn't have anyone with me :(

Trust me, with this drone you will get tons of girl-friends soon. They will be begging to hang with you at any time.

If you do not see a cop, it does not mean there is no cop. ))) Those strangers hide in bushes ))

Switching to ATTI mode before flying under a bridge or any closed structure should give you control as no GPS is used in ATTI mode. Thanks for posting this. It's a big help to others. Cheers Bret

Once upon a time I was working on my pilots license. First rule in an emergency is to "Aviate!" Fly the bird. You did good dude!

Switching to ATTI mode before flying under a bridge or any closed structure should give you control as no GPS is used in ATTI mode. Thanks for posting this. It's a big help to others. Cheers Bret
Thanks Bret!, so the compass is only engaged while in the GPS mode?? If so that's a very valuable advice and I'm going to do that from now on.

Last edited:
Once upon a time I was working on my pilots license. First rule in an emergency is to "Aviate!" Fly the bird. You did good dude!
Thanks man, honestly the first time it happened to me I froze and avoided a crash by sheer luck. But after going through a similar situation a few times (comes with flying in a big city I guess) I now just take over and try to steer it with short firm bursts of control stick movements away from obstacles and people. At least I try :)

Oh so the compass is only engaged while in the GPS mode?? If so that's a very valuable advice and I'm going to do that from now on.
No. The compass is always engaged. But a sudden loss of GPS could cause issues. Check out other videos where P3s are flown within feet of high tension power lines. Metal interference isn't the issue. It causes no problem to orientation. So two possibilities exist in this situation. A sudden loss of GPS or pilot error.

No. The compass is always engaged. But a sudden loss of GPS could cause issues. Check out other videos where P3s are flown within feet of high tension power lines. Metal interference isn't the issue. It causes no problem to orientation. So two possibilities exist in this situation. A sudden loss of GPS or pilot error.
Got it! Well I definitely wasn't trying to kiss the wall with my phantom :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20