Lawn chair problems

Reaction score
I know it's not advisable to fly around metal objects. However for some reason I thought this is big metal objects like bridges, etc. Today I flew my phantom 3 from a lawn chair in the middle of a ball field at a local park that's often empty. I use the chair to sit down while I prep the bird and go through checkout. When I launched the bird I continued sitting in the chair to relax while I flew from the middle of the baseball field. I experienced very poor video framerate and blurred video in my iPad mini. I switched channels for the second flight, same thing. I went home puzzled. Then it dawned on me, it could be the chair. Sure enough, when I flew later that afternoon without the chair everything was flawless. So there ya go guys, don't be sitting in folding lawn chairs to pilot your drone.

Hmm I'd try it again. That's strange. If you have the quad already set up and it is a ways away from you, for take off, the chair should be ok to sit in and control it. I do it all the time from my patio and have a big table, umbrella and 5 chairs. No issues there. I take off abut 20 ft away.

I sit in a metal fold up chair in my field and it has never been an issue .
I'm with Roy on this .
OK, I'm going to try it again.
I've been going through a bunch of tablet tests, first the Galaxy Tab A, then the TabS, and now the IpadMini. I think all of my tests with Tab S were from the lawn chair, and was thinking it could have been the lawn chair making the Tab S work so bad. The Tab A worked pretty good, but not as good as my wife's Ipad Mini3. I'll try the Ipad Mini again with the lawn chair and report back. I found it odd that it would affect the video so much. I appreciate the feedback.

I know it's not advisable to fly around metal objects. However for some reason I thought this is big metal objects like bridges, etc. Today I flew my phantom 3 from a lawn chair in the middle of a ball field at a local park that's often empty. I use the chair to sit down while I prep the bird and go through checkout. When I launched the bird I continued sitting in the chair to relax while I flew from the middle of the baseball field. I experienced very poor video framerate and blurred video in my iPad mini. I switched channels for the second flight, same thing. I went home puzzled. Then it dawned on me, it could be the chair. Sure enough, when I flew later that afternoon without the chair everything was flawless. So there ya go guys, don't be sitting in folding lawn chairs to pilot your drone.
Funny. I am partially disabled and sit on a lawn chair about 20 ft. away from my LZ. no problems yet.

Ok, I tried flying from the same lawn chair and had no problem. I'm not sure what was going on that day I had the problems. I've flown twice since with the same chair, no problem.

So I have been testing various tablets, the galaxy TAB A and TAB S, both had various little things in the pilot app that bugged me, then went back to the iPad mini since my wife's seemed to work good. So far the iPad works best from a pilot app point of view, but I'd prefer an android tablet if DJI can get them to work right with the pilot app. I'm thinking the iPad air is the ultimate, but unsure if it's actually too big, weight wise, for the controller clamp.

Ok, I tried flying from the same lawn chair and had no problem. I'm not sure what was going on that day I had the problems. I've flown twice since with the same chair, no problem.

So I have been testing various tablets, the galaxy TAB A and TAB S, both had various little things in the pilot app that bugged me, then went back to the iPad mini since my wife's seemed to work good. So far the iPad works best from a pilot app point of view, but I'd prefer an android tablet if DJI can get them to work right with the pilot app. I'm thinking the iPad air is the ultimate, but unsure if it's actually too big, weight wise, for the controller clamp.

Glad you sorted it out.

'Correlation is not Causation'.

Yah, I fly from a chair quite often - aluminum frame when I'm at home sitting I the yard, and metal(?) fold up when away from home. Never had an issue. The chair is a pretty tiny amount of metal compared to a baseball field or other flying area. Maybe there was some other RF interference that day.

I actually thought this was going to be a "which lawn chair is the best to fly from" thread. Most comfy, sun shades, beer.... I mean cup holders, built in solar charging, etc.

Reactions: Fplvert
I see all these posts about people having trouble flying around metal objects and magnetic fields , I live on top of a copper mine and my only real open area is a reclaimed tailings pond and have yet to experience any problems with signal or reception....I just don't get it .

Reactions: III% Streve
I see all these posts about people having trouble flying around metal objects and magnetic fields , I live on top of a copper mine and my only real open area is a reclaimed tailings pond and have yet to experience any problems with signal or reception....I just don't get it .
The concern is with ferrous metal and magnetic influence on the compass as you stated, what does a copper mine have to do with the OP folding chair question?

Sounds to me more like heat than interference from the chair.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues