Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Launch and Recovery from boat at sea

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by NigelJF, Oct 9, 2014.

1. NigelJF

Very difficult task to film a sailing race, no room to take-off/land on the boat itself and the boat was bobbing up and down all the time so it was a hand launch and recovery.

YouTube 2xd1u_IVbsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xd1u_IVbsA

2. Noël

Noël Guest

Nice job! I've also done it several times and it's fun (as long as all goes well)

Normally I get the person who is doing the hand launch / recover to sit so he/she does not have to also balance for the waves.

One more thing... That does not look like force 4/5 to me. It's more a force 3 ;-)

Force 3: Gentle breeze. Large wavelets. Crests begin to break; scattered whitecaps.
    Force 4: Moderate breeze. Small waves with breaking crests. Fairly frequent whitecaps.
    Force 5: Fresh breeze. Moderate waves of some length. Many whitecaps. Small amounts of spray.

3. NigelJF

Thanks for the tip; I wanted him to sit but I also wanted to bring in the Phantom as high as poss as I have a radar frame and aerials a few metres away at the back of the boat which were inviting contact!

To be fair on day one it was F3 occasionally F4 but defo 4/5 on day two (guy launching/recovering in yellow) but we were in the lee of the land so there was little wave build-up. I've photographed the sea for years and it never looks like it really was if you know what I mean.