Latest on ND and CPL Filters? PolarPro Still Bad Threads??

Reaction score
I flew my fist flight of my P3P today...loving it. I want to get a Circular Polarizer (CPL) and an ND4 and may be ND8 before I go up to Vermont next weekend. I see PolarPro filters listed everywhere, but the threads I have read seem to indicate their first production had poor threads and they too them back...

Did that get sorted out or is there another company I should look to? I could do with just a CPL I think, but eventually I'll be flying over snow up there I hope and will want an ND8 I think.

Suggestions? Links?

Thanks! Great community!

They definitely sorted out the thread issues. CPL filters are very specialized. I would stick with NDs for now.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I flew my fist flight of my P3P today...loving it. I want to get a Circular Polarizer (CPL) and an ND4 and may be ND8 before I go up to Vermont next weekend. I see PolarPro filters listed everywhere, but the threads I have read seem to indicate their first production had poor threads and they too them back...

Did that get sorted out or is there another company I should look to? I could do with just a CPL I think, but eventually I'll be flying over snow up there I hope and will want an ND8 I think.

Suggestions? Links?

Thanks! Great community!
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, polar pro got their act together, however there are many options for filters. Avoid the basic CPL and ND4 as they are pretty much useless on the P3. Start at ND8 and up or get combo ND8/CP.
The first decision is how much you want to spend vs quality. Check out phantomhelp.com for the most common gel (cheaper) and glass filters discussed on the forums.
I personally only go glass. SRP is top of line, but some have concerns on weight to gimbal. No issues for me!

I'd want quality glass for sure...I worked as an architectural photographer for a couple of years shooting Nikon glass and using B&W and Hoya filters. I want the sky-blue-deepening and water- darkening effects of a CPL....the shutter speed reduction will be a bonus to minimize rolling shutter effects. I'd buy and ND8 and a CPL now...just need to know what is the best quality that A) doesn't have thread / fit / quality issues and B) won't affect the gimble in a negative way.

A) doesn't have thread / fit / quality issues ---top of the line (and cost) is SRP CP/ND8 or CP/ND16

B) won't affect the gimble in a negative way -- SRP probably has the heaviest filter, but I've never heard reports of a gimbal failure due to it. There are varying opinions out there whether or not you need to balance while using these. I've never done it and had mine since they release back in spring

Looked up the SRP filters on Amazon. Do they NOT screw on like others? The description says:
  • For Use with DJI Phantom 3 Camera
  • The P3 Series ND8/CP Filter combines a lightweight slip-over filter frame for the DJI Phantom 3 camera with a professional grade two-in-one filter.
  • The ND8/CP is a combination circular polarizer and neutral density 8 filter.
Isn't a frame going to add even more strain on the gimble?

Looked up the SRP filters on Amazon. Do they NOT screw on like others?
Nope -- they slide on. And, they are pretty tight, so it's tough to install and remove them.

Reactions: bobmyers

Suggestions? Links?

Thanks! Great community!

I have a SRP ND8 C/P for $40.00 if interested.

Thanks for the advice and insight. I ordered the PolarPro 3-pack of CPL, ND4 and ND8 from Amazon for Sunday delivery.
These will not be much good during the mid day hours. I had the Gen1 series, and could only use +2to3hrs from sunset/sunrise. You'll need at least an ND16 for mid day. The PP cinema series on their website looks promising. I'll be testing in a week or so.

Thanks for the advice and insight. I ordered the PolarPro 3-pack of CPL, ND4 and ND8 from Amazon for Sunday delivery.
I read that PolarPro 3-pack is a poor value, reasons being the CPL filter is very limited in application and the ND4 just not dark enough in most daytime conditions. Only the ND8 filter is useful out of that pack.

I bought the Taco RC 4-pack filters - ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND32. I only tried the ND4 once and I agree it is not very useful. I find the ND8 and ND16 the most likely to be used in daytime.

I have P3P and P3A. Agree the ND4 not helpful.. what is the factory ring on the DJI production camera? Is it just a lens cover? I cannot get it off of the P3A. I have tried everything short of damaging the camera. Even two of us using four hands. I plan on just buying the slip on filters, I guess.

Although I am a loyal Polar Pro guy for years, if and when you are interested in upgrading to an ultimate set with massive flexibility check out this thread and contact forum member Rainbowers. I love this set and even though it requires mechanical counterweighting, I have ZERO regrets..

The professional filter set for the Phantom 3 | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
what is the factory ring on the DJI production camera?
It's a UV filter. To remove it, you should untwist it to the left -- gripping it as lightly as possible. If you grip it too hard and/or attempt to remove it with tools, you will probably damage it. It's very fragile.

I have P3P and P3A. Agree the ND4 not helpful.. what is the factory ring on the DJI production camera? Is it just a lens cover? I cannot get it off of the P3A. I have tried everything short of damaging the camera. Even two of us using four hands. I plan on just buying the slip on filters, I guess.
I also had trouble removed the factory ring initially, then I tried one suggestion from other users here, putting rubber band around the ring and I was able to take it off. Other people also wore those rubber surgical glove. I think the trick is not applying too much pressure on those two or three fingers in contact with the ring, but try to apply even pressure all around the circumference.

Reactions: Seachief

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31