Latest firmware got people crazy!! Should I??

Reaction score
every single time there is a firmware update you can rest assured this forum will have posts and posts of firmware messed up drones.

I normally always update the firmware as DJI release it.

However this time seems to be a very big run of posts regarding how bad hover and video signal is after latest firmware.and lots of people saying you should calibrate imu etc after. Well I've never re calibrated imu after a firmware update. Only when drone needs it.

Should I update?

Would like to hear from people like msinger as he normally has very good advice.

Also any peeps that have upgraded with no issues. Trouble is once you start reading all the bad post story's it's gets you paranoid.

Daz

every single time there is a firmware update you can rest assured this forum will have posts and posts of firmware messed up drones.

However this time seems to be a very big run of posts regarding how bad hover and video signal is after latest firmware.and lots of people saying you should calibrate imu etc after. Well I've never re calibrated imu after a firmware update. Only when drone needs it.

Should I update?

Would like to hear from people like msinger as he normally has very good advice.

Also any peeps that have upgraded with no issues. Trouble is once you start reading all the bad post story's it's gets you paranoid.

Daz

Well, at a minimum, you'll lose ability to use the various firmware mods to completely disable the NFZs.

Possibly also won't be able to downgrade later.

As to stability of the firmware overall... Dji put a lot of new features into this release, so I'd say it's likely to have at least some issues.

I'd wait a little bit & see if anything new gets posted about bug fixes. I've grounded my bird until I hear something. Today was the worst yet! Descending to land & it was all over the place. Really scared me!

Should I update?

Daz
I replied to another thread that you have posted and apart from the confusion, in my case, of following the directions in the app, it worked fine. I wouldn't be too deterred by upgrading the FW, it looks like a case of people posting their concerns appearing the latest upgrade to be generally problematic whereas I suspect that many others are doing just fine and not reporting back.
Having said that, DJI should work on explaining the process of upgrading in a more logical manner.

Reactions: Dazzauk
I replied to another thread that you have posted and apart from the confusion, in my case, of following the directions in the app, it worked fine. I wouldn't be too deterred by upgrading the FW, it looks like a case of people posting their concerns appearing the latest upgrade to be generally problematic whereas I suspect that many others are doing just fine and not reporting back.
Having said that, DJI should work on explaining the process of upgrading in a more logical manner.

So no video or stability issues for you buddy?

So no video or stability issues for you buddy?
There were a couple of minor issues but then after having reset my settings in the app, they went away. There is an annoying 'high wind' warning that pops up even in a very slight breeze, but I ignore it. The IMU warming message at the start has been replaced with an IMU cal message that disappears once the drone is ready to fly. I suspect that DJI will release a fix for those two issues in the next app update, but apart from that it seems to fly much more stable and a quick 5 Klm round trip had no signal/video issues.

I updated and no issues. I'd recommend using the DJI Assistant to do the update. Both the drone and controller need to be updated. If you use the assistant it will instruct you. Also be sure to calibrate the IMU, compass and sensors. Remember to set your RTH height and any other custom settings.
I've completed 3 flights since the update and everything seems fine.

i updated also and have had 0 major issues.

Minor issues:
1 - IMU Calibrate message instead of the IMU warming up, but goes away once ready to fly.
2 - high wind warnings that pop up too often, even in a light breeze, those are just ignored.
3 - IMU Redundancy Switch message has popped up, but flight has been normal.
I think another IMU calibration will resolve this as well.

Positive:
Horizon tilt seems to be much improved in my case. before the update i would always have to
manually adjust with C2+wheel, in the 3 flights i flew since updating, the horizon has been level.
additional intelligent flight modes are now available and working

Overall i'm pleased with the update, and have no regrets about updating.

You can update and be lucky or see your bird very unstable in flight. Did numerous upgrade thru DJI assistant 2, IMU, RC re-link and compass, but the P4 still unstable...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj