Laser Balancing Props & Camera

Reaction score
This video popped up on YouTube and they are laser balancing to get rid of Jello. You can balance the props and the camera. Any of you guys try this?

Reactions: Mindblower
a balancing rod is on my want list.
A quick hack while you are waiting for a real balancing rod is to use the handle of a common x-acto knife if you have one. It fits perfectly in the prop hub. Remove the blade of course, insert the handle into the hub. It will stop before the threads. Put the handle (with prop attached) across the top of a thin lipped glass. Balance as needed.

X-Acto-knife.jpg

That is an incredibly half assed attempt and they show no evidence it actually helps. Dynamically balancing a quad would be almost impossible given the wide range of speeds that each motor runs through. Dynamically balancing props without balancing the motors seems like overkill and anyway, what this guy is doing is just playing with a laser pointer. I'm not totally convinced that static balancing helps, but it's fast and easy. The gimbal is the device that is supposed to deal with this sort of vibration and generally it does.

When a Phantom vibrates to the point where the gimbal doesn't work and that static balancing doesn't fix - it needs to go back to DJI.

Wish there was a way to easily do a deflection correction. I used to balance wind generator blades and we would match them by weight and deflection. Probably not as much of an issue with a two wing prop but on triples is was a major.

When the LASER was invented it was described by one as: " a solution in search of a problem."
That is an incredibly half assed attempt and they show no evidence it actually helps. Dynamically balancing a quad would be almost impossible given the wide range of speeds that each motor runs through. Dynamically balancing props without balancing the motors seems like overkill and anyway, what this guy is doing is just playing with a laser pointer. I'm not totally convinced that static balancing helps, but it's fast and easy. The gimbal is the device that is supposed to deal with this sort of vibration and generally it does.

When a Phantom vibrates to the point where the gimbal doesn't work and that static balancing doesn't fix - it needs to go back to DJI.

Agreed, this was a gimmicky and poorly developed process and demonstration.

The mirror was attaced with zip-ties and appeared to touch the table not to mention damping due to holding the arm to prevent lift-off.

But there are folks who believe, like carbon fiber, a Laser will make all things better.

Yeah, well the laser sure found some problems.

How would cats have survived?

Reactions: Reed L
I can't see a real world use for the laser balance other then for total vibration assessment but the UAV would need to be strapped down to a piece of rubber or set on a trampoline style table so that it could move with it. I was wondering if anyone else had used a laser because I can see where it would work but still the vibration app in the phone does a good job. So... one of these rainy days when I'm bored... I will test the app out :)

The problem with the iPhone as a vibration sensor is that it's a bit ungainly. Typically you would tape several tiny little expensive sensors to the frame - you would probably need 12 (4 motors x 3 axes) to do the job correctly. Plus figuring out how to tether the drone. Even then, would have big problems with the strain on the tether changing your vibration pattern.

Or remove the motor / prop and test it separately.

Remember, vibration changes with distribution of weights and loads. Have one prop working harder and the solution changes. It's extremely complex.

Likely DJI has done something like this at one point or another. I don't think anybody else is going to bother. Just putting a vibration sensor in a single plane doesn't get you very far.

Never let down by my DuBro balancer. I'll stick with that. Easier, and I've never seen jello in any of my videos. A good prop balancer will tell you which side needs tape/sanded. The laser method seems like too much guesswork (trial and error).

Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik