Las vegas

Reaction score
Anyone from Las vegas? The DJI map isn't listing the north Las vegas airport as a no fly zone for me. Its a very small airport but it should still have a small circle shouldn't it?
Also has anyone flown the strip? It seems with mcarren airport so close you wont be able to fly much higher than 35 feet if at all in some places.
It also seems much of Las vegas is class b airspace meaning I have to leave the city to even launch a foot off the ground? Or does that only apply to real aircraft?

Last edited:
Anyone from Las vegas? The DJI map isn't listing the north Las vegas airport as a no fly zone for me. Its a very small airport but it should still have a small circle shouldn't it?
Also has anyone flown the strip? It seems with mcarren airport so close you want be able to fly much higher than 35 feet if at all in some places.
It also seems much of Las vegas is class b airspace meaning I have to leave the city to even launch a foot off the ground? Or does that only apply to real aircraft?
If it's an airport the 5 mile rule applies and it is the UAV operator's responsibility to comply, don't rely on DJI. And yes it applies to you and I.

That doesn't quite answer my question but thanks for trying. I already know the basic rules I was hoping for something a bit more in depth mostly on the class b airspace rules and how I would go about getting atc clearance. There are a lot of maps out there and they all have conflicting information and almost none of them list the class b airspace boundaries.

Last edited:
While were here i feel like I should point out to anyone visiting that the Las Vegas strip is mostly off limits along with.
Valley of fire state park
Lake mead

I will update more as i find them

You pretty much nailed it with that statement.
Except that it also applies to your Phantom.

However, you can always make the phone call to the tower and ask them if they will ok the flight.
I doubt they will, but you never know.

Well that's not good news :/
I also just read to even gain clearance you need to be in radio contact. With an altitude transponder on the aircraft. ****.

Well, at least you took the time to find that stuff out ahead of time. A lot of people just buy them and think they can fly anywhere.

I just hope the rules don't get excessive.

That doesn't quite answer my question but thanks for trying. I already know the basic rules I was hoping for something a bit more in depth mostly on the class b airspace rules and how I would go about getting atc clearance. There are a lot of maps out there and they all have conflicting information and almost none of them list the class b airspace boundaries.
You cannot operate your phantom in class B, C, D airspace, FAA regulations require all aircraft operating in these airspaces to be equipped with two-way communication for exchanges with air traffic control (ATC).

Reactions: Crawnic
Well, at least you took the time to find that stuff out ahead of time. A lot of people just buy them and think they can fly anywhere.

I just hope the rules don't get excessive.

I feel like the rules are already a bit excessive and im hoping the regulations end up opening more airspace for people who educate themselves and get licensed. Right now a lot of the most amazing places in western America are restricted. I mostly want to film beautiful nature scenes and im finding that harder to do with all the parks being restricted.

I feel like the rules are already a bit excessive and im hoping the regulations end up opening more airspace for people who educate themselves and get licensed. Right now a lot of the most amazing places in western America are restricted. I mostly want to film beautiful nature scenes and im finding that harder to do with all the parks being restricted.

I'm not sure about the rules relaxing. That's not typically how our system works over time unfortunately. Freedom hasn't been a reality in America in a very long time. And the noose is clamping tighter and tighter and you know what....the majority of people have no clue.

I can still hope. XD

I do agree though about the majority not noticing that noose.

I was in Vegas around this time last year. My buddies and I were strolling down the strip when it sounded like a big bumblebee was coming.. We turned around in time to see a Phantom about 100' off the ground cruising right down the middle of the strip. I don't know if someone was in control or if it was a GS flight but it went straight down the strip past us and out of sight.

Aaand when I got home I immediately bought myself a Phantom :)

I fully expected that flying down the strip would be a no-no but it sure would make for some cool video.

Reactions: masonaw1
I fully expected that flying down the strip would be a no-no but it sure would make for some cool video.

Yeah.. Its really only off limits because of the airport and class b airspace and not because of people or cars as far as I can tell. Which is interesting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4