Laos - Vientiane and Buddha Park

Reaction score
I wish I had more Laos footage to weave into the video, but my catastrophic crash along the Mekong River put an end to my SE Asia flight ops. Here are some sunset flights over the Mekong showing Vientiane and the red canopies of the Night Market. Also some afternoon footage of Xieng Khuan, the strange and interesting collection of statues known as Buddha Park, outside of Vientiane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_5V6bafaY

Glad you're enjoying and thanks for subscribing! The Mekong River videos were flown two successive nights at sunset, with the Buddha Park video in between.

Buddha Park was frustrating, because I wasn't able to achieve live video feed there; perhaps it's because of all the rebar in the concrete statues. All the flying was done line-of-sight.

A few hours later, back at Vientiane, I flew a full battery and brought her in and put in a fresh battery. On launch, the Phantom kind of tilted over and flew a ballistic trajectory into a dried riverbed area of the river, impacting a bamboo fence. The gimbal plate was severely bent.

I've had my share of crashes caused by operator error, but that was not the case here. My P2V+ had performed flawlessly throughout Myanmar and in Laos, up until that launch.

I have a buddy who is a field engineer for a test equipment company that makes spectrum analyzers. He theorizes that there was a transmitter nearby that interfered with my signal. In the US, the FCC regulates power output for specific frequencies; either no such agency or the means to enforce that exists in Laos. Indeed, nearby workers were setting up the audio equipment at a bandshell for a live variety show which started a few minutes later.

But really, I have no idea why she crashed. My next destination was Hanoi, but I wasn't able to fly there.

Guess I'll have to go back in 2015!

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was testing the phantom close to a stage where a band was going to perform. The wireless Mic was on 2.4ghz like the phantom controller I guess because in his test the phantom went crazy as the Mic was used. I don't know if that was your issue or not.
Well after 50+ flights without a crash I had my first today and it was my fault. I got disoriented on direction and clipped a tree. I broke 2 props and it fell maybe 5 feet into snow. No other damage I can tell.

I hope to see more of your videos again in the future.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj