Landing remotely using fpv

Reaction score
Tried searching but couldn't find any answers. New to drones and I'm in the process of getting a p3a and have a question. Can I land my drone using fpv in a remote location. On my property I have a pond that's just over the hill from my house and I would like to set it down around the pond to watch the ducks and wildlife for a while and then return it home when I'm done. The pond is about 1/2 mile away and there is an area that I keep mowed where I would land. I know I will need a lot of experience before I attemp this but was just wondering if it was possible. Is there an app where I could set up landing spots and have it automatically fly to the spot and land.

You can if your remote controller is connected to your Phantom the entire time. If the connection is lost, your Phantom will return home.

With the Litchi app using Ground Station, you could create a mission to fly to the pond, decend to a lower altitude, hover there for a while, and return home. If you loose signal you will loose FPV, but your drone will not RTH at that time. You will, of course, have any recorded video.

Easy to test - fly it over there and try to land. You will do one of a couple of things: Lose radio contact - in which case it will ascend to the RTH altitude (and check that carefully before you try this), or just land happily or crash while attempting to land. Then you have to hike over and pick it up.

Take it slow and easy....

You don't even need Litchi - just make a waypoint at your landing site.

Thanks. If I make a way point at the landing site will it land or just hover. if I get this to work somehow can I kill the power to the bird and the RC and let it sit for a while and start it up using the remote and fly it back home. My ultimate goal would be to use it to remotely take photos of wildlife without me being right there scaring the wildlife off. I know the drone will disturb them but they calm down pretty fast.

Too many things can go wrong w/ this idea. The only (2) gimbles i had to replace on p3's both were from auto landing in a situation where i couldnt see the land in short grass or fields. The gimbles are just too fragile and cheap to risk landing in that situation. Mount a gopro to a stake and let record for the entire length of a high capacity card at the right hour to observe. If something went wrong you would still lose less $$ & the chances of disturbing your subject is minimal! You get the added bonus of hearing the ducks comunicating w/ each other.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Sounds pretty close to impossible with today's Phantom. You can maybe figure out how to do one thing or the other thing but to fly it over a hill, out of line of sight, land it, AND THEN enjoy FPV while it's on the ground, then launch it and fly it home? Don't think so.

Some day when we get the cellular connection figured out and legal, it might happen. I'm waiting.

I guarantee that when you 'set her down' next to the pond, all the ducks will be long gone! Hopefully one doesn't fly into your P3 while they flee...
Like Dirty said, mount a GoPro on a tripod near the pond and spend a few SD cards..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic