Landing Mat, Landing Gear Extenders?

Reaction score
Hi was just wondering do any of you flyers use the above? I will be taking off and landing mostly from grass which with the weather here in the uk will most likely me muddy most of the time! I was wondering do you feel it would be worth investing in the mat or the extenders to protect the drone during takeoff and landing? Cheers.. Anto

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I usually take off from my hardshell backpack and always hand catch when I land. I've landed manually a couple of times before trying a hand catch and found I prefer to catch. It wouldn't hurt to have a decent mat for takeoffs though, especially if the area is muddy.

I usually take off from my hardshell backpack and always hand catch when I land. I've landed manually a couple of times before trying a hand catch and found I prefer to catch. It wouldn't hurt to have a decent mat for takeoffs though, especially if the area is muddy.
Thanks Mate do you know of any good landing mats i could buy

Hi in regards to the Landing mat, go to the hardware store and pick up a hard rubber boot mat. They come in different sizes but the standard is about 14inches by 24inches. They also have a raised lip to keep things dry.

@dynamic3dSolutions he has a landing gear extenders that I use to help lift the quad and camera gimbal about 1-1 1/8" inches higher up off the ground. Snaps on and off. Great product

Note in this picture I have the polar pro gimbal guard on too. In reality doesn't fit with the extenders just didn't have any other pics of the extenders

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 663
Polar Pro also makes landing gear extenders that also increase stability
DJI Phantom 3 Landing Gear
Use code SHARK15 to get 15% off

For takeoff on wet areas, I use a piece of 1/8th plywood about 15" square -(no cost as it was from a skip!). Landing...hand catch.

I just use a piece of cardboard. Grass wet here too

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Sagebrush
I use a mudflap for a semi-tractor trailer. Very durable rubber about 20 inches square and 3/4 inches thick, and heavy enough to mash grass or snow down flat. And it doesn't blow away. Available at almost any truck stop for pretty cheap. Pretty much always hand catch for landing though

Hand-catch for landing. It's going to come in handy to know how to do this even if you don't do it every time (there will come a time when it's the only way to land safely).

So far, I've not had a reason for a take-off platform, but thanks to Wet Dog, I now know of a new use for my reflectors!

Ciao!
Speck

Where did you get the red landing gear?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use a 3" thick 24" x 24" slab of concrete with inlaid bubble levels in both X and Y axis for perfectly level platform. I will be selling these shortly for 3 easy payments of $29.95.... shipping cost not included :rolleyes:

Seriously though, on my P2's I always bought the wide and tall aftermarket landing gear. Unfortunately if I do that for my P3 it will not fit in my hardshell case.. I typically just use the foam insert from my backpack top and just turn it over and lay it on the ground - works well enough and I don't have to carry anything extra.

I just bought a pair of the polar pro landing gear. While I haven't flown and landed with them on yet, I did perform several tipping tests and they add so much stability by widening the footprint plus can still take them off.

In addition, for whatever reason, it seems every time I am flying the wind conditions pick up and the terrain is seldom perfectly level or debris free (desert). I purchased this REI Camp Roll Table - REI.com not only for camping, but u can use the aluminum top without the table legs as a quick set up landing platform. It is all aluminum, rigid, lightweight, and portable enough to hike with. In high wind conditions I have had to resort to hand catching but prefer landing

I use the polar pro landing gear its awesome!! I come in super hot for grass landings all the time, also gives your gimbal more clearance during warm up.

Expensive but extremely durable, must weigh nearly 5lbs or so.
image.jpeg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20