Landing gear question

Reaction score
Got my P3A for Christmas (knew it was coming, but had to wait) and have been looking at some of the 3D printed offerings on shapeways that are SAR related (my wife and I are amateur storm chasers and I want to be prepared). I've seen several different pieces I'd like to get that attach to the gear but they are all sized for the P4. I'm wondering what the dimension difference is between the 3 and 4 for the gear length (front to back) and width.

Reactions: embayweather
I'm wondering what the dimension difference is between the 3 and 4 for the gear length (front to back) and width.
I don't know the exact dimensions, but I can tell you they are not compatible. What kind of landing gear are you trying to find?

Ah. What does it do?

it's designed to hang a small box on the side, one that unhooks when you land. I plan to use it (if I can get one that fits) to mount an LED spotlight to each side of my phantom, powered by a standalone battery

That's a pretty unique part. You'll definitely want to seek out something that's designed for the P3 since that part will only fit the P4.

it's designed to hang a small box on the side, one that unhooks when you land. I plan to use it (if I can get one that fits) to mount an LED spotlight to each side of my phantom, powered by a standalone battery
And these ?
41zqASBexXL._SY450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Lume-Cube-Dr...d=1482986876&sr=8-2&keywords=light+cube+drone

Similar to those brackets, but including a brace that connects to the lower part of the gear. It's the same general idea, but both spotlights will be angled down, they'll also be lighter weight, and a lot cheaper. I'm also planning to add a landing light to the bottom to be activated by turning the camera all the way down and actuating a snap switch.

Using a phantom to chase storms? I've never seen that done. I suppose you'd be ok as long as you don't get too close. Any wind more than 30 mph and you're toast.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Using a phantom to chase storms? I've never seen that done. I suppose you'd be ok as long as you don't get too close. Any wind more than 30 mph and you're toast.

or rain.

Wouldn't chase the storm with it, it would be used to check parts of the damage path that would be otherwise inaccessible. She wouldn't come out until after the dangerous part of the storm had passed.

hail and lightning also no no;s.
r/c/ jets are the only thing going to handle 150+ winds. but you better use carbon fiber like it is a russian nuke plant.

That's pretty much what I'll be using for the landing light.

Then you would want the switch backplate to interlock to side plates, don't want position of it moving if the camera is activation. Think about those wearable ardino's and range sensor to detect camera without needing to actual touch.

The snap switch will be mounted to a gimbal guard, so the switch moving won't be an issue. I've thought of incorporating arduino into the system, but I would rather keep it as simple as possible

The snap switch will be mounted to a gimbal guard, so the switch moving won't be an issue. I've thought of incorporating arduino into the system, but I would rather keep it as simple as possible
out driving today and thought. Put foil tape on bottom of camera and use light beam sensor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj