Landing gear in gopro view.....

Reaction score
I purchased the taller and wider landing gear but it seems that the gopro still sees the legs....anyone know where I can find wider and shorter landing gear? I may proto type a sliding tube attaching the gopro mount to the bottom, that extends when the phantom lifts off then the tube collapses when it lands. That would let the GoPro drop below the bottom of the landing gear and provide a clear view.

I purchased the taller and wider landing gear but it seems that the gopro still sees the legs....anyone know where I can find wider and shorter landing gear? I may proto type a sliding tube attaching the gopro mount to the bottom, that extends when the phantom lifts off then the tube collapses when it lands. That would let the GoPro drop below the bottom of the landing gear and provide a clear view.

That I would like to see. Can you take some snapshots of your idea.

I've considered removing the landing gear and putting a handle to use when catching. It sure has it's drawbacks, especially if you aren't there to catch it. :eek::eek::eek::(

That I would like to see. Can you take some snapshots of your idea.

I've considered removing the landing gear and putting a handle to use when catching. It sure has it's drawbacks, especially if you aren't there to catch it. :eek::eek::eek::(
I cannot send pics because I didn't make it yet. I am also toying with legs that go out on a 45 degree angle. Remember you need to have the compass mounted perpendicular to the ground so it can hold steady. I was thinking of mounting the compass on the GoPro mount and do away with the landing gear. Then you can hand launch and catch each time plus its less weight.......the taller wider landing gear does nothing to eliminate the gear in the pic because they went taller. It should have been wider and shorter to get the legs out of view.

Last edited:
I don't know if the compass would like living too close to a GoPro. :eek:

Ya got paper and pencil? Really does sound like it's worth seeing/trying. ;)

I can also make one with a solid post with the pin going through it and the larger tube on the outside that holds the GP mount...........

Reactions: IflyinWY
Great ideas, thanks for sharing.

When do you go into production? :D

As soon as I get to the other 1000 projects I'm working on, LOL!

I have a friend who lives in Lander WY

Have you tried setting the gopro to a narrower field of view? I use mine with the "medium" setting and the (wide and tall) legs are not visible. Also purchased a Maikelsdesign landing gear from Shapeways, will try it once it gets here and let you know how it does.

Reactions: IflyinWY
As soon as I get to the other 1000 projects I'm working on, LOL!

I have a friend who lives in Lander WY
Lander is over the mountain and across the desert. I'm on the other side of the Bighorns from your friend. Lander is cool place to be. :cool: It's where the Hippies hang out. :cool:

Have you tried setting the gopro to a narrower field of view? I use mine with the "medium" setting and the (wide and tall) legs are not visible. Also purchased a Maikelsdesign landing gear from Shapeways, will try it once it gets here and let you know how it does.
I have the landing gear in view when I set the GoPro to take 2 12mp images per second in time lapse mode. I don't think there are any other settings other than how many megapixels. I don't see the gear in my videos. videos are nice but if you grab a frame it looks like crap when you try to enlarge it. I see the gear you are talking about. I think they need the angle to be closer to 45 degrees. I hand land so unless I'm going to crash it doesn't matter that the angle is 45 degrees.

I have the landing gear in view when I set the GoPro to take 2 12mp images per second in time lapse mode. I don't think there are any other settings other than how many megapixels. I don't see the gear in my videos. videos are nice but if you grab a frame it looks like crap when you try to enlarge it. I see the gear you are talking about. I think they need the angle to be closer to 45 degrees. I hand land so unless I'm going to crash it doesn't matter that the angle is 45 degrees.

I catch too and have thought about gear which just falls off after liftoff.

I store and transport my bird in a 68 liter plastic storage tote. Inside the tote are 4 semi-rigid foam blocks which support the arms. The landing gear never touches the bottom of the tote. The reason for that is all the gravel roads I drive on & when in a pickup truck the Phantom would be thrashed.
So, I wonder about taking off from something similar. I would call it a cradle, for lack of a better term. Cannibalize one landing gear to have just a post for the compass, and remove the other, or keep them just long enough for the antennas.

There is enough room on the underside of the lid of the tote for me to glue a cradle to lift off from.

Just a thought.

I catch too and have thought about gear which just falls off after liftoff.

I store and transport my bird in a 68 liter plastic storage tote. Inside the tote are 4 semi-rigid foam blocks which support the arms. The landing gear never touches the bottom of the tote. The reason for that is all the gravel roads I drive on & when in a pickup truck the Phantom would be thrashed.
So, I wonder about taking off from something similar. I would call it a cradle, for lack of a better term. Cannibalize one landing gear to have just a post for the compass, and remove the other, or keep them just long enough for the antennas.

There is enough room on the underside of the lid of the tote for me to glue a cradle to lift off from.

Just a thought.
Yes a cradle for takeoff would work. When I takeoff I never land until my timed flight is up, sounds good. Plus I flip my Phantom 1 over all of the time to get to the GoPro and usually leave it that way until the next flight. I don't have a gimble yet and like the effect of the changing angles during flight for stills and video, I just want the frame clear of Phantom parts!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj