Landing Gear in Frame. Getting Desperate

Reaction score
I've got the phantom 2 with a H3-3D gimbal and the Hero4 GoPro.

The stock landing gear would come into frame with the slightest movement.

I purchased the wider and taller landing gear, but this has made the problem worse.

I do not recommend the wider/taller legs if your trying to avoid this problem.

Any other suggestions?

Almost desperate enough to cut and modify them.

Lots of discussion about this. Happens all the time. The gopro lens is off center. any correction due to wind or if you yaw too quickly right and the left leg pops into view.

I would experiment with different field of view and also think about going to a higher resolution and cropping the legs out.

I was into purchasing retractable legs and realized all the mods to the bird and cases. Which got me thinking with all this 3D printing you would think someone patented a quick detachment slide plate that locks in increments forward from the belly of the bird. When done slides back into normal position and possibly even detach the whole gimbal for travel. Just a thought.. In the meantime I've been editing the footage out via video.. I saw something for a tripod attachment but was thinking forward weight is an issue, but I'm sure there is something that can counter weight the offset..

You could film in 4k and crop down. You could try these: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29713&p=272688&hilit=spread+your+legs#p272688

Buddy of mine cut the leg corner off of his. Just depends on how far you want to take it. Me personally it's not that big of a deal I just turn a little slower and film in the highest resolution available

I fly in medium and as smooth as possible. When I am taking still I will fly backwards slightly. Then I don't get the props either.

I tried the wide/tall legs and it made the problem worse.

I'm cutting the stock landing gear and making some homemade mods this evening.

I'm a little concerned about balance/stability but I will weigh and use equal parts of bonding/glue.

May post some pictures if it works out.

Are you using Medium FOV? I use medium FOV on my GoPro on my H3-3D and almost never get the left hand side landing gear in shot unless yawing hard.

harryb said:
Are you using Medium FOV? I use medium FOV on my GoPro on my H3-3D and almost never get the left hand side landing gear in shot unless yawing hard.

That's what I do too. Medium or narrow and you shouldn't see the landing gear. I have the taller gear too, it is worse with the taller gear and it still doesn't show in medium or narrow. I also, always shoot in 2.7/50 so if the landing gear happens to show in a hard turn, I can edit it out.

harryb said:

Same here, 1080x60 medium FOV, if the leg comes into view at all it'll be once in a 14 minute video and only when I'm really gunning it. I find the taller wider gear is much better than the stock legs, odd that the OP finds them worse, dunno what's going on there.

Murray26 said:
I tried the wide/tall legs and it made the problem worse.

I'm cutting the stock landing gear and making some homemade mods this evening.

I'm a little concerned about balance/stability but I will weigh and use equal parts of bonding/glue.

May post some pictures if it works out.

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. As others have said, medium FOV solves the problem.

If you decide to slice your legs off (a bad idea in my opinion), you need to be particularly careful with your compass.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj