Landing Gear: a dangerous replacement

Reaction score
Been looking around for extended landing gear, and found a light and simple one on Amazon.

I use a mail forwarder in the US to my place in Asia.

Today it came and I installed it. The flimsy plastic is 3D printed as far as I can tell.

The compass "mount" does not allow you to mount the compass perfectly upright.

But even worse, if you used to catch your Phantom in your hand when landing, the gear breaks.

I didnt fly with it, I just tried holding the Phantom (without battery, but with Gimbal) by a leg and crack.

Attachments

• 20140118_120601.jpg
    20140118_120601.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 950
  • 20140118_120623.jpg
    20140118_120623.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 809
DJI Extended Landing Gear, the movie:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7En05KhlnDs[/youtube]

Just search for DJI Phantom extended landing gear on Amazon, afaik there is only one. But I complained with Amazon as a possibly harmful device, so I don't know how long it still will be there.....

That looks like a design that really stresses light weight at the expense of functionality and durability. If you want a proper extended landing gear that is:

-almost half the weight of stock
-can be as long as you need (you supply the carbon fiber tube for the legs
-sturdy enough to hand-catch even with dual batteries
-has an aligned compass mount
-has splayed front legs for gimbal filming

I'd recommend the simensays v3 landing gear on shapeways. They've survived crashes where my cf legs haven't, and are still featherweight. 3D printed as well but they are definitely built well.

I have no affiliation, just found it was the best solution for me.

Seen those. After using the above a bit scared of single legs being strong enough for hand catching...

But if you say so :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj