Landing away from home point in emergency

Reaction score
I saw a video of someone who mis calculated the battery/wind. They brought it in and landed in a remote location but as they went to land got signal loss then RTH suddenly kicked in causing an undesirable function.

What is best practice if you want to land in another location where signal loss may activate?

Should you change RTH to just land? then Activate it? Or Hover and wait for critical battery?

Stay within range of RTH function! You can't plan when you will need RTH or land. Landing blind(without signal) is a crap shoot. Many people are looking to test the range of these things and some are getting caught out.

I saw a video of someone who mis calculated the battery/wind. They brought it in and landed in a remote location but as they went to land got signal loss then RTH suddenly kicked in causing an undesirable function.

What is best practice if you want to land in another location where signal loss may activate?

Should you change RTH to just land? then Activate it? Or Hover and wait for critical battery?
Hi Airspace, I think I saw the video you are referring to, where they landed it on a pier?
Anyway, I would have continued along the pier until the auto land function kicked in just to avoid the Signal loss and RTH behavior. That guy was dang lucky the Phantom flipped on its back and didn't go in the drink.

know the DJI app has an auto land function (unsure if it works at distance).

I think it is a valid question in an emergency one may have to land elsewhere whats the best approach when you know you cannot RTH because the wind maybe too strong or sudden gusts have developed unexpected.

I know you can change the RC signal loss setting to "RTH, LANDING, Hover" would one apprach be to change the RC signal loss to "Landing" then just try to land where you can, if you get signal loss you know it will still land in that spot I assume or activate the RC signal loss by turning off controller.

It is as a result of that video that made me ask the question.

In that video, the Phantom had 13% battery remaining when the Brother attempted to land. If he would have kept flying, or hovered above his remote landing site, at 10%, he would have gotten a low battery alarm. At 8%, the bird would descend to land. He would still have some control until the signal loss.

I don't think anyone wants their bird to just land upon signal loss. The default is RTH, but without enough battery, the bird will land itself, somewhere.:eek:

I don't own a P3 but from reading other threads, I believe there is a way to change the home point to the current location of the craft. Once you do that, you can auto-land or attempt to land and it will either land or else the RTH will work out fine.

On the P2, we simple move the S2 switch 5-6 times but I don't know what you do on the P3.

What you would want to do is get it over the spot where you want to perform your emergency landing, pan the camera straight down so you are hovering over the spot as best as possible, then initiate the Auto-land command. You should be able to adjust your position as you descend while you maintain contact. When you eventually lose contact the autolanding should continue.

Last edited:
What if you want to walk along a path and fly your bird. Can you update the rth location periodically as you walk?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here is my ultimate Emergency Landing & Phantom Save. 4000' out over water & the battery geeked!

Reactions: Fplvert
I

I think each flight area could need a different setting. Some examples... over water and home point more than 20M away from water , use RTH.
- near or under an obstacle use Hover.( then move closer/reposition to regain signal) don't wait for critical battery
- thinking about what would happen under different conditions and adjusting to the best one is what piloting is about.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj