Landing and taking off from water

Reaction score
Further tests of my cheap and easy float system. Some had asked if it was possible to land and take off from water so I gave it a try. Slipped a sandwich bag over the compass to keep it dry and tried landing and launching from the pool. First, I did a touch-and-go without shutting off the motors and then a couple of full shutdowns and takeoffs. The floats worked fine and kept the Phantom level and dry. The sandwich bag got blown down by the props and took on some water and then fell off as I launched. The compass got a bit wet and the Phantom displayed yellow flashing LED.
It landed fine and the compass was OK after drying off.
It is not my intent to use this system to regularly land on water. I will be shooting video over extreme whitewater which would engulf the Phantom if I landed in it. The intent is to float it enough so that I can recover it without too much damage if it falls in the river.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/arUHiDu_8IM?

Not a bad idea. There is a video on youtube where a guy has a round piece of styrofoam the shape of a pizza. I think that would work better but would block the video footage. The only thought on your way is that in whitewater it might be top heavy and flip. You might want to consider putting some bright orange paper in the bottles so if it flips, you'll be able to spot it. Otherwise great idea.

Ksc said:
Not a bad idea. There is a video on youtube where a guy has a round piece of styrofoam the shape of a pizza. I think that would work better but would block the video footage. The only thought on your way is that in whitewater it might be top heavy and flip. You might want to consider putting some bright orange paper in the bottles so if it flips, you'll be able to spot it. Otherwise great idea.
I think anything is likely to flip in this water, even full size rafts...
raftflip3.jpg

Yea its a little different landing in a dead flat pool compared to a pretty extreme rapid.

hilarious video!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers