Landed in sand on beach, how do I know if sand got in motor or gimal?

Reaction score
I landed in the sand on a beach (straight up standard landing, no flipping) and am afraid if sand got in the motor or gimbal of my Phantom 3 Pro. There was a lot of sand on the legs and a bit stuck to the rubber ball vibration absorbers at the top of the gimbal so sand got at least that high.

Would there be any symptoms it would show? I've flown several times after and no difference in flying function. I am going to hand catch at beach from now on.

Thanks.

Carefully turn each motor by hand and listen/feel for any grinding or roughness.

Sand and motors do not mix well.

I landed in the sand on a beach (straight up standard landing, no flipping) and am afraid if sand got in the motor or gimbal of my Phantom 3 Pro. There was a lot of sand on the legs and a bit stuck to the rubber ball vibration absorbers at the top of the gimbal so sand got at least that high.

Would there be any symptoms it would show? I've flown several times after and no difference in flying function. I am going to hand catch at beach from now on.

Thanks.

Don't sweat it. Get yourself a can of air or a compressor, and gently blow every thing out. Turn the bird in various angles while doing this to insure every grain falls out ( if they are even in there [emoji106] )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't sweat it. Get yourself a can of air or a compressor, and gently blow every thing out. Turn the bird in various angles while doing this to insure every grain falls out ( if they are even in there [emoji106] )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 on that

Unlikely sand will be in main propulsion motors, unless it was extremely fine.

If you found it on the vibration dampers however i would be paying very close attention to the pitch arm joints and using air, fine brush, toothpick to remove anything you find. Id hate to have even one grain floating around in there with the exposed PCB's and close tollerances.

Problem is sand can contain small particles of metal, these will not blow off with air duster.

I did about the samething, landed in a construction area, sand cloud surrounded my 3. Turning by hand each motor felt normal. I couldn't see any sand build up, but, with my compressor set at minimum (6 psi) & my bird upside down, I couldn't believe the amount of sand I blew out of the motor casings.
I now do this whenever any hint of sand/dust on takeoff/landings.

When landing and taking off on a beach I do a hand launch and catch, that way you keep the sand away from your Bird

I took off from a shingle beach once and my gimbal went wonky from the start. It would not keep level if I flew to one side.
I could not feel anything when moving the camera by hand, but i blew it all out with my compressor when I got home and not had a problem since.
I think I will sort out a mat for take off and landings on the beach in future.

Problem is sand can contain small particles of metal, these will not blow off with air duster.
Depends on your compressor. Mine will blow a rare earth magnet off of something.

You do want to perform a visual and tactile check. As has been mentioned, rotate the motors. You should feel the subtle catch caused by the magnets but no grinding or excess friction. If that happens, blow it out some more. Obviously you should not see debris in the motors / gimbal / shell.

Another case for hand catching.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20