Lady in park yelled at me tonight...

Reaction score
I've been flying in a big park in NY for the last month. Normally, I get the questions we all get, some kids asking if they can fly ("uh, YES!..."), etc.. Occasionally I get the older person walk by and say "that's scary!". Tonight, I was flying at about 200-300 feet, staying away from groups of people, kids, trying to get some nice shots of the sun setting as I pan across the NY skyline. I start to run low on battery, land, jog over with a new battery. As I'm popping the battery in, 2 people come towards me from opposite directions, a man and a woman. The man gets to me first and starts to ask me the usual questions (battery? how long? camera?). The woman then arrives and cuts in "You know, that is not allowed here!". I tell her "I understand what you're saying, but in actual fact, it is not illegal". She gives me "There are designated areas like Floyd Bennett Field where you can fly quads! You cannot fly that here!". I say "I know there are designated areas for rcs and model craft, but there are no laws or ordinances against flying safely here". Her retort, raising her voice "THOSE ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND YOU CAN'T FLY THEM HERE! I WORK FOR THE PARK!". I respond with "I'm sorry, you're just not right". I was sufficiently annoyed by that point, since she was being very rude, but I know that I have to tread lightly, as I don't want to bring anymore negativity to this situation or to our community. Had she not stomped off at this point, I would have told her that I would continue to fly away from her and other people, but that if she looks for the ordinance or law that prevents flying an rc in the park, she would be searching for a loooong time. I then finished my conversation with the gentleman who first came over, which was civil, and we both agreed that people seem to be most bothered by the sudden loss of control of what they deem to be their personal space. He had some valid concerns, which I tried to address by saying that there are plenty of privacy laws in place that protect against those who wish to do sketchy things with their quads.

Anyway... does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to quickly end the conversation with these aggressive types who insist that what we are doing is against the law, and disallowed in the park? Is there some sort of print out that I can bring with me when I am flying to provide some solid information to these people?

Thanks!

Re: Lady in Brooklyn park yelled at me tonight...

I usually just pack up and move on. Its not worth causing a scene and making the situation worse. Sometimes that's really hard to do when they are acting like a total jackass though.

Quickest way to end a hostile conversation with someone, especially an old lady is to fly straight at them. Mind you, you only get 50 bonus points for hitting the elderly as they arent as nimble on their feet and make for easier targets.

We'll award the extra 50 bonus points if you can chase her into a body of water and post the video here. This is all layed out in the phantom points scoring rule book revision 4 of 2014. Please consult your pocket sized rule book for further queries.

I won't leave just cause someone wants to be an ***. If the gal worked for the park and had authority to make you stop...ask for her ID. Most parks have dos and don'ts posted. I have a park close to me and one day when I saw a local cop there, I asked him if it was ok to fly the electric quads etc as long as I was away from people and flying in a safe manor. He had no problem with it at all. I don't go when there is a lot of activity. Some people will come up and ***** for no reason. As long as you are not breaking the law, hold your ground. No need for a scene. State your rights and then ignore them. It doesn't hurt to be taking video of yourself flying. My van has a carcam and is aimed at me flying. They can be had cheap. Mine was under $50

Absolutely. As soon as I wrapped up my conversation, I took off and finished off my last battery. When we were ready to leave, we did. Had a cop come over and asked me to stop, I would have made the same statements, but I **** well would have called a night and left right then.

One thing you might do, if you are recording, is offer to send them a copy of the video if they give you an email address.

You could upload it to Photobucket or Youtube and send them a link.

Take a huge angry looking dog with you !!

;)

Get some of those pivothead recording glasses so next time someone harrasses you, you'll have them on video in case they try to attack you or your phantom. Also a good idea for getting some good video from the ground level and keeps you hands free and even keeps the sun out of your eyes.

I would not cave to the misinformed. You are still innocent until proven guilty. If they persist, make them show you in writing where you are in the wrong. We have to stand up for the right to continue with our chosen hobby. Just fly friendly and safe.
These confrontations are getting more and more frequent. It's starting to sound like the open carry arguments, a bunch of ignorant (ignorant as in not knowing what the hell they're talking about) busy bodies trying to enforce nonexistent laws on what they perceive as illegal activity.

planedr said:
I would not cave to the misinformed. You are still innocent until proven guilty. If they persist, make them show you in writing where you are in the wrong. We have to stand up for the right to continue with our chosen hobby. Just fly friendly and safe.
These confrontations are getting more and more frequent. It's starting to sound like the open carry arguments, a bunch of ignorant (ignorant as in not knowing what the hell they're talking about) busy bodies trying to enforce nonexistent laws on what they perceive as illegal activity.

Better yet, don't force them to prove to YOU in writing they are right: prove to THEM you are right, and in writing. Hand them a copy of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

More than once I have been confronted for taking photos of public buildings while standing on public property. I merely tell them the law that allows me to do so was proposed on Sept. 25, 1789, and ratified Dec 15, 1791.

Monte55 said:
(snip) My van has a carcam and is aimed at me flying. They can be had cheap. Mine was under $50

That's a good point, if you can aim the carcam at flying or activities.

Perhaps an action cam mounted on a helmet, hat, or chest would be beneficial to record any disturbances. (Recall the chap who recorded a mentally disturbed "lady" who attacked him by a lake or river in a park.)

Bear in mind, however, how freaked out some people get with Google glasses, etc.

Also remember that in some jurisdictions, it is illegal to voice-record other people's voices without mutual consent. Those who record a non-consenting party could be subject to criminal or civil lawsuit issues--or at least provide a shakedown opportunity for the non-consenting party and his or her legal representatives.

:shock: And then there's the bad stereotypes of men who drive vans. Do you have any other vehicle? :roll:

planedr said:

No kidding. Which would be ironic for me, because I always carry, although it is fairly well covered.

No kidding. I was flying my Blade Nano QX in a park the other day when a lady came running up yelling "Is that a drone? That's a drone isn't it? You're flying a drone!"
I explained what it was and tried to calm her down. It was the most bizarre reaction I've seen so far.

I had a dude yell at me that I was spying for Obama today. No joke, I just laughed at him. He then said maybe I was working for Gorbachev. I laughed harder and ignored him.

Then I shot him in the face and hid his body thirteen feet northwest of an old oak tree with a low hanging branch. A squirrel eyed me curiously but wisely didn't say anything.

Flying Cephlopod said:
Monte55 said:
(snip) My van has a carcam and is aimed at me flying. They can be had cheap. Mine was under $50

That's a good point, if you can aim the carcam at flying or activities.

Perhaps an action cam mounted on a helmet, hat, or chest would be beneficial to record any disturbances. (Recall the chap who recorded a mentally disturbed "lady" who attacked him by a lake or river in a park.)
If you have a visible camera on you and you were attacked, they could take it away from you as not to leave proof

Bear in mind, however, how freaked out some people get with Google glasses, etc.
Who really cares

Also remember that in some jurisdictions, it is illegal to voice-record other people's voices without mutual consent. Those who record a non-consenting party could be subject to criminal or civil lawsuit issues--or at least provide a shakedown opportunity for the non-consenting party and his or her legal representatives.
If you target them for the recording, maybe...but if they enter your space and you are recording an event, well too bad for them

:shock: And then there's the bad stereotypes of men who drive vans. Do you have any other vehicle? :roll:
Yes I do but what difference does it make? I drive my work van. It has more room than my sports car, atv, jetski, or motorcycle. I'll drive what I want. My job is to go and enjoy myself. Not be annoyed by paranoid people. I am not there to please or bother them.

Slauterhause said:
I had a dude yell at me that I was spying for Obama today. No joke, I just laughed at him. He then said maybe I was working for Gorbachev. I laughed harder and ignored him.

Then I shot him in the face and hid his body thirteen feet northwest of an old oak tree with a low hanging branch. A squirrel eyed me curiously but wisely didn't say anything.

Haha keep the video and gps coordinates to yourself. I'd have taken out the squirrel too just to be safe ;)

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Slauterhause said:

Haha keep the video and gps coordinates to yourself. I'd have taken out the squirrel too just to be safe ;)

I hope that wasn't logged with a Flytrex. :cry: :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4