Kinda off drone topic Osmo Mobile

Reaction score
I just received an email from DJI touting their new OSMO Mobile which gives a Cell Phone the video stabilization used in our drones.

I was sort of interested in it and went to the DJI site and browsed around a bit. THEN I noticed plastered across the top of their demo phone the familiar SAMSUNG which all us Droids recognize a mile away. Android has always seemed to be a redheaded stepchild as far as DJI goes, as it seems Apple was the primary OS they designed around. I'm impressed

So I took delivery yesterday of my Osmo Mobile with the tripod kit ($400 total). One thing is for certain, the build quality on this device is top notch, it's got a very professional feel of quality. I played around with it last night with my Android LG-G5 phone. Although the Go app crashed a few times, after I rebooted the phone and the app it didn't crash anymore and seemed pretty stable. The device works great with various modes to smooth out things. Read the manual, it's very helpful to explain "pitch lock", camera zoom control, etc. Panorama photo mode works nice. The coolest feature is Active track, just like with a Phantom, it will track people, objects etc. And the tripod device that connects to the side of the Osmo handle is very clever and compact. The vertical stand is a telescopic device about 3' long that is designed to also be used as a pole extension for the Osmo, without the tripod base. The Osmo Mobile, tripod base and pole extension all collapses to fit into the provided carrying bag. It's a pretty slick setup. If you buy one, get an extra replaceable battery for emergencies, although the battery seems to last quite good, and recharges with a provided USB cable (Type A USB connector on one end and an audio style connector on the other end). You provide the USB wall charger (which everyone has). I'm going horseback riding next week, I'd give this device a good workout during the ride.

No you don't need a tracker with the osmo

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
No, what I meant to say... when it's attached to the tripod, will the Osmo follow it's target like the Soloshot? Or is it stationary and doesn't automatically pan when a target is acquired? Not sure what you mean when you say "you don't need a tracker" because I could have sworn the app has a build in tracking option. I guess I should look at Youtube for an answer.

Ok, I found the answer. Yes, the Osmo mobile tracks just like the Soloshot, as seen in the video below (at 2:52)

One thing that surprised me was how poor the battery life was on my iPhone 6s when using the Osmo mobile. The gimbal itself is very impressive I just dont think I can life with the phone's battery life...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav