Kentucky Drone Shooting Follow Up Report

I will say that I am careful where I fly, and on alert to people who approach me when flying.

I will say that when our P3's fly over property at heights, taking issue with that would be on par with showing up at the airport and taking issue with the passengers of the plane that flew over your property who looked out the window at your property.

As one member put it, I could do much better "peeping" with a ladder and a telephoto lens, as compared to flying what sounds like a swarm of bees.

Mark.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
Ignorant people... at 200ft they are so quiet and I dont see how current wide cameras can invade anyone's privacy from that distance. To be honest, I am very scared of people's reaction when I fly.

Reactions: dkyacht
If this *** is complaining and shooting down drones today, imagine in a few years. Drones will be spread like locusts with more powerful cameras and flight time. I can even see myself regreting spreading the hobby hahaha.

Reactions: dkyacht
Yes, in a few years, it's going to be crazy out there...

image.jpg

RedHotPoker

Have any of you ever shot a shotgun? Tested range? To pull a uav or a live bird down at 250' requires as much or more luck than skill (not saying it isn't possible, but highly unlikely). Typical shotgun range with lead bird shot is about 100' (35 yards), with no guarantees at that range. Patterns deform pretty rapidly after that, so unless the guy was shooting steel through a fixed choke AND got rather lucky, I'd wager the drone was well under 150' and probably closer to the 80'-100' the shooter described. Has anyone seen any reports describing elevation change between takeoff point and the residence? I couldnt tell from google earth, but I wonder if there was either a decent elevation change or some other explanation.

Have any of you ever shot a shotgun? Tested range? To pull a uav or a live bird down at 250' requires as much or more luck than skill (not saying it isn't possible, but highly unlikely). Typical shotgun range with lead bird shot is about 100' (35 yards), with no guarantees at that range. Patterns deform pretty rapidly after that, so unless the guy was shooting steel through a fixed choke AND got rather lucky, I'd wager the drone was well under 150' and probably closer to the 80'-100' the shooter described. Has anyone seen any reports describing elevation change between takeoff point and the residence? I couldnt tell from google earth, but I wonder if there was either a decent elevation change or some other explanation.

I have and think it is possible, especially if it was stationary. Also I guess it doesnt take much to bring it down. Anyone has a spair P3 for a test?

Here is the GPS location of the take-off point approximately... 38.084521, -85.683419

It looks to be a pretty level area to me.
Capture.PNG

An adjustable choke shotgun with steel balls could easily do this in the hands of an avid shooter.

Thanks, Streve. I found it on google earth, too, but couldn't confirm elevation of start and stop.

Joao, I'm not saying it isn't possible, just a hell of a shot and a lot of luck in have a few pellets make it through the prop wash to hit a vital component with any real effectiveness as most shotshell pellets are pretty well drained by 50-60 yards, and at that distance or beyond you're looking at less than a third of pellets within a 30" circle.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/2543Retained_Energy_table.jpg

Reactions: III% Streve
I haven't read the entire story but has it been proven beyond a doubt that he really did use a shotgun?

After a paranoid neighbor called police in me I now always ascend to 300' above my house before flying out anywhere. 300' is a good height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sick and tired every day on the news there is all this negative stories about drones there are a lot of good drone stories world wide but none of the news agencies cares all they do is paint a bad picture about drones and operators yes I know there are people who don't care about the rules and operate their quads as they have a mind I know ...but a few bad apples should not spoil the whole bunch hi light sine of the great and fun things consumer drones are doing I am so tired ... I found this thought I would share ..... http://www.wired.com/2015/08/comes-worlds-first-international-drone-film-fest/

via http://www.hoverapp.io/

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj