Keeping rotors and landing gear out of footage

Reaction score
I'm very new to this and have searched for this question but couldn't find it addressed.

Ordered the Phantom and the new gimbal. I have seen quite a bit of footage from others that shows the rotors and landing gear in the footage. But then I have seen others that does not. What are the methods typically used to keep those elements out of the footage. One I can think of is to just zoom and crop.

Thanks,
John

I use the GoPro app to pre-aim my H3. The preview window does a great job of framing the image. Be sure to turn the WiFi off after you have done the set-up.

....you can also aim your cameral slightly downward. Personally, I don't want to see straight ahead of me, I want to see what's down below. Feel free to do a search on Youtube for "FangsCPO", you'll see my vids. No landing gear visible. Good Luck!!

FangsCPO said:
....you can also aim your cameral slightly downward. Personally, I don't want to see straight ahead of me, I want to see what's down below. Feel free to do a search on Youtube for "FangsCPO", you'll see my vids. No landing gear visible. Good Luck!!

I do that also... use a MoonGel stripe under rear side, and camera points 15° downward, better shoots than straight view. Medium FOV also.

With the gimbal it will be trickier to keep the landing gear and props out of frame when doing certain maneuvers that have lots of pitch left, right or forward. If not using a gimble its very easy to keep them out of shot by slightly tilting the camera downward. Having it aimied slightly below the horizon actually helps reduce the fisheye effect as it gives the horizon a bit more of a natural curve, if you aim above the horizon this will invert the horizon causing it to be higher on the sides then center which makes the fisheye lens look much worse when the horizon is reversed in curvature.

Even with a gimbal if aiming the camera more downward then dead level will help avoid getting the props in frame, the landing gear is a little tricky and if anything it would have been nice if DJI made the gimbal that extends further forward to avoid this. Quite likely you should be able to make a mount the extends a few centimeters forward so it eliminates the landing gear getting into shot. Reduced fov will also help or you can shoot in 2.7k and crop in post while still having enough res to not zoom the pixels themselves.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31