Keep or sell

Reaction score
A while back, I managed to tangle my P3P with a tree with bad results that you can fine here if you're so inclined: Another sad crash story
After some deliberation, and uncertainty about how long a repair would take, I went back to my supplier and purchased another P3P, as I had already purchased 2 extra batteries,filters, and kind of liked how the thing worked. The dealer felt so bad for me, that he gave me a discount and even discounted a second set of camera filters (one of which was smashed in the crash). I was going to buy a new roll arm and ribbon cables and fix it myself, but decided to send it to DJI, since I wasn't now in any rush. It was only a 2 and a half week turn around, most of which was transit time from Illinois to California and back. It cost around $300 which I don't think was too bad. I don't really know what they replaced, since most of the invoice was in Chinese. So now it's back to factory specs. In hindsight, I should have just sent it in and not bought another one. Duh!

I was thinking of selling it once I got it back, but it's tempting to hang onto it. I figure I'd be lucky to get $800, and would have to buy another battery for the new one. Plus two chargers is nice and there's piece of mind having a back up. So, if anyone has a really good reason to sell it, I'd like to hear it. For now it's standing by in case I have another bout of poor judgement.

keep it just in case you need it one day

Reactions: Phantomix
It's best to have one for a back up, because when 1 goes down, you can swap everything. Just be sure to keep the firmware the same on both and put the strong arm supports, gimbal and camera savers on both. It's nice to have a back up :)

It's best to have one for a back up, because when 1 goes down, you can swap everything. Just be sure to keep the firmware the same on both and put the strong arm supports, gimbal and camera savers on both. It's nice to have a back up :)
What are the strong arm supports, and gimbal and camera savers??? I think I need these :)

Depends on your viewpoint, but I like having two. I mostly use it for photography (rather than just flying around, a perfectly valid thing to do). So, if I go someplace to shoot and have an equipment issue (remember Mr. Murphy) it's nice to have a backup. For any significant still shoot I always take two bodies even though digital camera bodies these days are really quite reliable. I've discovered that I am typically the weak link (oh yeah, the batteries are sitting on the charger .... ).

Also, if you get into modding the aircraft or receiver it's nice to have a functional unit.

Of course, this depends on your goals and desires and wallet. YMMV.

What does the motor cap do, is that just for when you have the props removed?

Yup, protects the threads, look nice.
Reed's P3P.jpg

Reactions: flpholt
just wait soon you'll
20160427_153022.jpg
have more

Reactions: philabowl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member