Keep dumping money into P1 or upgrade to P2?

Reaction score
I just got a P1 from my dad for free. It's basic, has a few extra 2800 MAH batteries, the antigravity motor upgrade, but nothing else.

I want to mount a gimbal, preferably a three axis, and install and FPV system with iOSD. I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth putting that money into the P1, knowing that I'll have to upgrade the board, etc. And fight with poor flight times, or if I should just put that money into a P2 instead.

Thoughts?

Danielhv said:
I just got a P1 from my dad for free. It's basic, has a few extra 2800 MAH batteries, the antigravity motor upgrade, but nothing else.

I want to mount a gimbal, preferably a three axis, and install and FPV system with iOSD. I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth putting that money into the P1, knowing that I'll have to upgrade the board, etc. And fight with poor flight times, or if I should just put that money into a P2 instead.

Thoughts?

would it be possible to buy a gimbal/fpv/iosd that could be used with the P2?
Essentially using a free phantom as a test/practice device, especially with installation. Then when you are certain you like the results, get the P2 and transfer everything over.

Or were you thinking on getting the P2 zenmuse combo?

dragonash said:
would it be possible to buy a gimbal/fpv/iosd that could be used with the P2?
Essentially using a free phantom as a test/practice device, especially with installation. Then when you are certain you like the results, get the P2 and transfer everything over.

Or were you thinking on getting the P2 zenmuse combo?

Id get the combo if I were going to upgrade

You could put all your P1 internals in a P2 shell for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one, and that will give you the ability to use either type of battery if you want.

OI Photography said:
You could put all your P1 internals in a P2 shell for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one, and that will give you the ability to use either type of battery if you want.

I keep forgetting that option. Any cons with that approach?

Danielhv said:
OI Photography said:

I keep forgetting that option. Any cons with that approach?

More time under the hood, possibly more frustration?

would still need to upgrade stuff for zenmuse use and the like.

It would totally be up to you to maintain. Worth the potential headache? Up to you.

As pointed out above, the conversion is 100% DIY and you would still need at least the upgrade board. Total parts cost could be around $100. Maybe $150 depending on your choice in options.

It's certainly not for everybody, but if you have the skills and want to save some cash it's an option.

Looks like I will be joining the 1.5 club then!

I appreciate the help, I'm sure I will have many more questions before it is all said and done!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4