K Index Currently At 8 (Severe)

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
You might notice your GPS being impacted but you could probably still fly safely as long as you have ATTI on the ready.

latest_0.png

FlareZone-GIF.gif

not a pretty forecast for today (curse of St Patrick)

Attachments

• St Pats Mag. Storms.png
    St Pats Mag. Storms.png
    335.7 KB · Views: 867
Hadn't seen this till now and just got back in from flying out about 2000"out and
wondered why I didn't get but 9 sats !
I must be to far south for it to matter much .

Had a nice two batteries worth of flight time today. All good. Never went below 9 sats. Location is Ireland. Happy Paddys Day to all!

K-index monitor and K-Index lite are made by me!
I'm working on a "widget" version at the moment.

Yesterday I had a barely decent GPS lock. Not good enough to fly. I said forget it and put the Phantom away. Then I thought, hey, let me go and install that K Index app. After installation, boom, a red 8. Can't be right. I go online and sure enough, 8. Hubsan x4 indoors time. So I wake up to a gorgeous day and 6 K Index. When it got down to 5 an hour ago I flew on 6 sattelites but had a GPS unlock at about 800 metres away. I still had WiFi so started flying back and GPS came back on with the original home point still set in. Phew. I put in another battery for another flight and no go on GPS lock about 20 minutes ago. I'll stick to the hubsan x4 for now :roll:

All this puzzles me . I have been here for almost a year and seen a lot on it . Have seen some say it's not an issue and some say No Fly .
It has never been an issue in my location and flew twice yesterday . I don't mean around in the field but out several thousand feet and the only thing I saw that was strange was I only had 9 sats lock in the first time and then in the afternoon I only got 11 where I normally have 12 to 14 .
Is it maybe my location for this not to be an issue or what ?

bighi you say your not getting any sat's and I do not doubt you . I also don't know what country or where you are at so that don't help me understand this . I just don't get it .
Course I don't get a lot of things :? ;)

Noël said:
Basically GPS systems might / can be effected.

I'm sure that you have read this before. If not this is an interesting read.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/impacts/space- ... ps-systems
It was ..Thanks ! My location might be why I have not never really had any problems .
We have a lot of big fields here and the tractors work off GPS systems to plant those big fields and have never heard any of them speak of any problems .
Maybe the Mosquito's so thick here they just suck up all that interference ;)
Thanks for the read :)

bighi said:
Could be your location. For me GPS lock isn't so easy being between two huge mountains and a glacier. Today for me was no go.
Well see ! Now I know about where your at . :D

My general flying area. You can see that GPS in an area like this can be finicky.

14.03.2015: http://youtu.be/YFiXLu8_DXY

Anyway, had I been using my p2v+ v3 I probably would have gotten a better GPS lock. But over the last few days I'm really enjoying a brand new in box p2v+ v2 that I managed to get on the Internet. I like the peace of mind regarding speed controllers and wiring that it gives me. But that's a different subject entirely.

dirkclod said:
It was ..Thanks ! My location might be why I have not never really had any problems .
We have a lot of big fields here and the tractors work off GPS systems to plant those big fields and have never heard any of them speak of any problems .
Maybe the Mosquito's so thick here they just suck up all that interference ;)
Thanks for the read :)

In a magnetic storm, GPS satellites still transmit signals which you can still pick up on the ground. What changes is the time it takes for the signal to reach you which causes your computed location to drift.

People using car navigation systems are most likely to notice fluctuations in accuracy as they use basic GPS and are attempting to pinpoint your location on a map. If the atmospheric drift is big enough, they'll have issues.

The Phantom only cares about it's location relative to it's starting point (or where it was a second ago) which is arbitrary so as long as the atmospheric drift stays fairly consistent over the duration of your flight (which it will), you won't really notice much.

The farmers use expensive precision GPS systems which have methods of compensating for atmospheric drift. They're usually accurate to under a foot.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie