Just wondering

Sitting here on the couch watching football and had a thought. I was wondering about the part 107 test. Do you actually fly the drone as part of the test and demonstrate that you know how? I haven't seen anyone say anything about actual flying. Just wondering.

msinger

Approved Vendor
Website
www.PhantomHelp.com
Do you actually fly the drone as part of the test and demonstrate that you know how?
No. It's a multiple choice test taken at a computer in an FAA testing facility.

So you could go take the test pass it and not have a clue how to fly a drone. Looks like you would be tested on the flying part. Most things I have ever did that required a certification I had to perform the actual task.

So you could go take the test pass it and not have a clue how to fly a drone. Looks like you would be tested on the flying part. Most things I have ever did that required a certification I had to perform the actual task.
Makes you wonder doesn’t it? If you know the rules but can’t fly anyway does it make you any safer?

Sitting here on the couch watching football and had a thought. I was wondering about the part 107 test. Do you actually fly the drone as part of the test and demonstrate that you know how? I haven't seen anyone say anything about actual flying. Just wondering.
Funny you should observe that....like taking a drivers test without having to drive a car. Knowledge, but no skill. To paraphrase the comic Ron White, "officer, I knew what to do, but didn't know how to do it"

UK PfCO has both a technical exam and a flight exam, the flight exam was surprisingly difficult (but there was a CAA examiner's examiner overseeing my course). We had to fly ATTI mode on a windy day, I already have a BMFA B but was very glad I practiced plenty before the day!

Manned aircraft pilots have to demonstrate their flying skills in order to get certified. Eventually they will fly over people and structures and a mistake can take the lives of people below including his/her own as well as the destruction of property. sUAS Pilot’s are prohibited from flying over people or moving vehicles unless they have waiver, and most of the time when they do crash the biggest property loss is their own aircraft. So I guess the FAA is more concerned on how well you know the rules & regulations rather than how well you fly your aircraft.

UK PfCO has both a technical exam and a flight exam, the flight exam was surprisingly difficult (but there was a CAA examiner's examiner overseeing my course). We had to fly ATTI mode on a windy day, I already have a BMFA B but was very glad I practiced plenty before the day!
You Brits are always more adept at things military, processions, formal and all protocol. Just look at your processions, precise, exactly timed and on time.

Website
webpages.charter.net
Funny you should observe that....like taking a drivers test without having to drive a car. Knowledge, but no skill. To paraphrase the comic Ron White, "officer, I knew what to do, but didn't know how to do it"
Reminds me of an episode of "Big Bang Theory." All the "geniuses" are in the car when it breaks down. One asks if the rest know anything about internal combustion engines. They all do. Then he asks if anyone knows how to fix an internal combustion engine. Silence.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard Thornton