Just what can you do on a frozen lake?

Very cool Britserker! How did the battery hold up in the cold?

Pretty good Woody although it wasn't really that cold for us with air temp around 5°C. I made several flights between 10 and 13 minutes long and always back home with 25% life remaining, there was way too much activity to risk an enforced landing somewhere away from home.

I always get a little nervous flying over water - you take to another level and drive over it. I can't comprehend how thick that ice is as its always raining here and hardly ever freezes

I always get a little nervous flying over water - you take to another level and drive over it. I can't comprehend how thick that ice is as its always raining here and hardly ever freezes
The ice is pretty thick Gez, guys were even having fires on it which would certainly freak me out! It's been a really warm winter for us in Alberta so I am surprised how thick and stable the ice is. I will be more nervous flying my bird there in the summer when I know a catastrophic event will mean the end :-(

Thanks Jason, really appreciate the feedback. One of the hardest things of operating in cooler temperatures is the stick movements with increasingly colder fingers! Trying to get the right gloves so it doesn't feel clumsy or end up with frost bite in my fingertips!

Nice video. I'm amazed at the lack of snow cover on the ice. I'm on the other end of Canada with mild temps too but also quite a few snow days.

I enjoyed the MC ice racing. We had some on the lake I live on last winter.

Nice video. I'm amazed at the lack of snow cover on the ice. I'm on the other end of Canada with mild temps too but also quite a few snow days.

I enjoyed the MC ice racing. We had some on the lake I live on last winter.
Thanks Jason. It really does look like cracked glass when it get's like this. A week earlier it was snow covered but the warm weather gives us this incredible surface to play on. What a weird winter hey!

Awesome video.
I'm not a cold weather person but that looks like fun....if I could get over the fear of falling into the ice cold water below.

Reactions: Britserker
Aside from my sheer enjoyment of watching everything taking place on a body of water, even more impressive was how steady, smooth, and visually appealing your video is. This is great! Thanks for sharing....I can't even imagine what a frozen lake is originally being raised in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Aside from my sheer enjoyment of watching everything taking place on a body of water, even more impressive was how steady, smooth, and visually appealing your video is. This is great! Thanks for sharing....I can't even imagine what a frozen lake is originally being raised in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thank you very much Shaba, I appreciate the kind words. We are very lucky here to have these lakes as massive play things year round!

Great frozen lake vid! I flew my Phantom earlier this week in -21 Celsius (-6 Fahrenheit). Took some footage of creative ice fishing huts as the winter sun was going down. Phantom performed flawlessly. Cold weather flying worries are over rated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great frozen lake vid! I flew my Phantom earlier this week in -21 Celsius (-6 Fahrenheit). Took some footage of creative ice fishing huts as the winter sun was going down. Phantom performed flawlessly. Cold weather flying worries are over rated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Brilliant! Love the shed with the Canadian flag and to see all those sheds it reminds me of allotments back home in the UK! And of course, no Canadian winter scene is complete without the hockey rink. You had some neat lighting going on there with the sun going down as well. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: CaptainDrone798

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic