Just tried my first flight with way points

Reaction score
Everything works good, but does any one know can you create a way point route from the ground like ive seen other quads do..so it will just take off one its own and fly to desired altitude follow path and land at home point. Or do you have to always record a path first.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You always have to record a flight first

Im asking the same question too. I really be disappointed if it is not possible to determine the flight path from the ground.

A video is showing that you need to fly really a path to set waypoints ... But someone is saying that is possible on ground ... I really don't know...:(

Unfortunately, DJI states that wave points can only be set once in flight. After you have set up your first set of wave points, you will be able to save them for future flights. I know, I'm not all that crazy about it either, but that's how it works.

it has no sense. PV2+ was capable to do that. To do the path manually will drain the battery.

Unfortunately it appears that they have taken a step backwards. I can't really think of a use for the feature as implemented for me. But there are 3rd party apps that support a more useful waypoint programming mode. I'm pretty amazed that DJI released it this way. I thought the vision app was crippled with a limit of 16 waypoints, but at least you could program them in advance from the ground. The P3 version is worthless to me.

Reactions: dysan911 and 2FST4U
The SDK coder's will be able to do this. It is the only thing that DJI is really leaving open for them. It has a huge demand! If DJI added the "Ground Station" feature, there would be little left for outside app developers other than a few things like the "zip line" feature.

Reactions: Cerone
The SDK coder's will be able to do this. It is the only thing that DJI is really leaving open for them. It has a huge demand! If DJI added the "Ground Station" feature, there would be little left for outside app developers other than a few things like the "zip line" feature.
Agreed, however the third party app venders will have to play catch up with this latest FW update, so I would wait a bit before using them.

It's crazy but their reasoning is that you don't crash into any obstacles by mistake. If you have flown it already it means that it's safe to do it automatically. They should have called it replay mode. Maybe if enough people complain on djis fb page they might change it so it works properly

Reactions: 400ftFLORIDIAN
I like the new process. It is safer to set up this way. A flyer should always have a flight plan, and it should not be too complicated anyway. Why would anyone need more than 3 waypoints per flight?
I say buy a couple spare batteries.

Yeah, these will definitely drive more battery sales. I wish you had the option, but I see why they did it this way. And from a photography, videography standpoint, you're going to want to be able to frame the shot anyways - or at least get it in good location, then on the autonomous mode, do more precise camera control. You wouldn't be able to do that on the ground.

I like the new process. It is safer to set up this way. A flyer should always have a flight plan, and it should not be too complicated anyway. Why would anyone need more than 3 waypoints per flight?
I say buy a couple spare batteries.

I think everyone I know will want more than 3 way points lol! Sometimes more way points don't always means more distance, but for sure the flight path will be more precise!

Agreed, however the third party app venders will have to play catch up with this latest FW update, so I would wait a bit before using them.

Apparently its not going to hard to catch up. The change from current SDK was minimal and Litchi has already confirmed their app works with today's firmware although there is one small change to do with taking off from ground level. I think you will see it in public release in next couple days.

My reasoning more ominous. You have to fly over the path once first so that the aircraft actually flies over the area. Imagine if terrorist can just plot a route on ground and attach an explosive on the drone. The moment they take off from ground the drone will fly to the target and they can run away at the same time.

Flying over the target once as a "record" probably serves as an early warning. Kinda stupid reason but I guess safety is a large concern of dji.

Reactions: StumbleBee
Here's what I think is the real reason for having to do Waypoint set-up flights. It makes you have real time two way communication with your bird when you are setting it up. That way if one of your waypoints is a sensitive area (gov't office, high ranking person, military base, nuke plant, etc.) you would have to 'fly' your bird there to set up the way points. This gives the "target" a chance to detect you (small object radar, listening device, RF intercept) and take effective countermeasures. You would never get a chance to fly your Waypoints autonomously (No external control) because your signal would have been neutralized on the first flight and you'd be on the ground.
I'm not paranoid, but I am realistic about the world we live in.

Reactions: Garrie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.