Just purchased the Vision 2

Reaction score
Hello all just made the leap and put my hand in pocket and got me the vision 2 anything I should look out for??
Hopefully flying tomorrow any advise would be great.
Martin :D

These are always hard to answer because we've no idea how much or little you already know.

At a minimum download the assistants and make sure you've the latest firmware in the Vision and the controller.

Read the manuals (available on line).

View the DJI (Colin Guinn) YouTube tutorials if you can find them.

Spend as much time as you can looking through the forum's topics that seem related to flying.

If you're a total novice, perhaps read this overview - http://www.lsvl.info/Phantom2Vision.htm .

Make your first flights in the biggest space you can find.

Before starting the motors, give it plenty of time to do its pre-flight checks and get GPS and home lock (learn the light pattern to look for - depends on the mode you're in, Vision 2 vs. NAZA).

As soon as you lift off, stop at about 6 or 8 feet, and just let the Phantom sit there for a minute or so until you're convinced it's got its act together. Get a feel for how well it holds position (depends on wind, number of GPS satellites it "sees"). If it doesn't stay within about 6 feet of where you "parked" it (no control inputs), land it and redo the pre-flight (either something didn't complete or it's just too windy).

Make your control inputs slow and small at first so you see what a given input results in. The exception is at take off ... don't try to "ease it off the ground" as you may tip it and damage the rotors. You can pretty safely give it almost full power until it actually lifts off then immediately cut back.

Don't go zooming far or high until you feel comfortable with it. Remember that the farther away it is, the harder it will be to see what its doing.

If you're up fairly high, don't attempt to descend vertically very quickly. The Vision (like any 'copter) can get caught in its own prop wash and bad things will happen. If you must descend very quickly, add some lateral movement so it stays in fresh air.

Are you in the UK? If so then its always good familiarise yourself with the CAA rules on where you can fly with or without a camera; its basically 150 metres from any built up area if you are filming and 50m from people you haven't briefed and buildings. You should also stay below 400 feet and cannot gain from any videos you produce.

The rules are outlined here http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1416&pageid=8153

You can have fun, stay safe and record great videos and stay within the rules :)

To quote:

if you are intending to take aerial photographs on a commercial basis (ie. conducting ‘aerial work’), or if you are going to fly within congested areas or closer (than the distances listed within Article 167) to people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control, then you will need a permission from the CAA in order to do this.

If you are not intending to fly close to people or properties, and not intending to get ‘valuable consideration’ (ie. payment) from your flight, then you do not need to get a permission; of course, you must still comply with the other requirements of Articles 166 and 167, and you must also ensure that you do not endanger anyone whilst flying your aircraft (article 138).

Welcome it is addictive and scarey at the same time as you will see as you get to know the forums and it's members... ;) So much to learn at the same time though :eek:

Thank you for your comments, I think I am gonna have some fun here and HOPEFULLY learn some stuff to make me a better pilot for my vision 2. BLOODY HELL HURRY UP TOMMOROW I FEEL THE NEED TO FLY..... :D

One other area of learning would be about the lips batteries. Just Google and you'll find plenty of info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj