Just ordered Hoodman Aviator Sun Shade...

Reaction score
I've been using a combination of a Hoodivision Padhat with a anti glare screen protector on my Acer 8" tablet and P3A...before that I was using the padhat on a Fire HD tablet with my old FC40.
The combination was a huge improvement over the bare tablet, but still left a lot to be desired.
I then tried to make my own Hoodman style out of some foam board but it looked very generic and just didnt seem like it was ever going to be 'right' no matter what mods I made to it.
So today I finally went ahead and ordered the Hoodman set up with extension from Amazon. Its scheduled to arrive on Saturday. Hopefully the bad weather will be gone by Sunday and I can give it a good workout.
I'll be sure to post a review once I work it out a bit.

I'm really happy with mine. Need a strong holder thou!

b6bc2d27749176235069b25933c7ea4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zuzua
I've been using the Hoodman for sometime now and can't imagine flying without it. I'm probably going to take my antiglare screen off my iPad mini since there isn't andy glare.

You get what you pay for.

SB

Reactions: garben
I've been using the Hoodman for sometime now and can't imagine flying without it. I'm probably going to take my antiglare screen off my iPad mini since there isn't andy glare.

You get what you pay for.

SB

Good idea...I'll lose my antiglare also as it does dim the screen a bit.

I have this on both of my remote controllers. The wider foot provides a very stable mount. You can find it from China sellers direct for a bit less if you don't care for this seller (faadronedecals.com) or can wait for delivery.
Controller Bracket Holder DJI Stability Bracket Fits P3A, P3P, P4, 2016 Model
2016-06-17_18-16-31.jpg

Looks sweet. Where did you get that TX tablet holder from? What are the prices on those?

I believe it is a "secraft" RC tray. Secraft.net

The tray, device holder, the device holder clamp, and the shoulder strap will cost around $350!!!

Last edited:
Figured I'd share some first impressions since it arrived early today. I bought the version for the ipad mini since I am using an 8" acer tablet. This is the mid size hoodman, they also have one for the iPhone 6 and one for the ipad air.
So first impression, its not nearly as 'obnoxious' looking as the pictures would lead you to believe. I was afraid it would look huge but it really doesn't. Yes, its bulkier than a dji type hood, but those hoods are all but worthless. It also folds flat to slide in my case.
It has elastic straps with buckles to attach it to your tablet...once they are adjusted they work well and hold tight.
I hooked it up to my tablet/controller and stood out in my yard and it really does cut 'all' light. What a nice difference to be able to see all the details on the screen.
That said, there are a couple of small things to be aware of...
1 I wear glasses so there is a little light leak around the opening because of them. Luckily since the hoodman is long it doesn't really effect the screen.
2 I know that they have to make a profit, and this is going to be a niche product, but $85? I would love to see it for about $40...would seem more in line for what it is.
Of course, they are the only one offering a 'cure' for glare...not a little bit better like a dji style hood or screen protector...but a 'cure' that completely works. If I accidently lost this hood I would order another tomorrow.
It really works that well for getting rid of glare. Hopefully tomorrow I can fly with it.

Looks sweet. Where did you get that TX tablet holder from? What are the prices on those?
Looks sweet? Serious! It looks ridiculous.

Reactions: Topdawgi
It may look ridiculous but it absolutely works! I have tried everything to cut the glare so I can actually see where I'm going and this ridiculous looking good is the only one that works great. Yes it is a bit cumbersome but if you fly in bright sunny days out I the open this is the only thing that's going to work. I have also ordered the secraft tray, device holder(it it's used instead of the one on the RC, it is connected to the tray) and the shoulder harness. All told plus the hoodman, around $350. Imo, it is worth the money if you want to fly in comfort on sunny days, you may look ridiculous though!!

Just returned from flying 3 batteries with my new Hoodman and I couldn't be happier. It works amazing...that's really the only way to describe it.
What a difference to fly and be able to see every little detail on the screen.

The only 2 minor issue I have...the weight of the hood makes the mount creep downward. I'm going to try to tighten the top screw and see if that helps before I go out shooting again.
Second issue...the little 'slot' they have for you to reach in and touch the tablet is too stiff. Its so hard to use the slot...especially with the tendency for the whole unit to move up and down so easily from the weight.

Other than those 2 minor issues....I haven't enjoyed flying as much as I did today. World of difference with my acer tablet.

Just wanted to bump this for anyone considering one of these. It made a huge difference and is really worth it.

@dtviewer: you are right the extra weight and the dji device holder just don't work good together. If you want a good experience you need the, secraft RC tray, shoulder harness and the secraft device holder(which by passes the dji device holder altogether), the cost around$270. Or do what many others do, get a tripod and tablet mount, around$80. I opted for the secraft RC tray!

You can get them new for $299. I got one, its a great tablet, bright and clear.
I found a refurbished iPad mini 4 for $259 and have been quite happy. I have had no trouble flying FPV and hardly use the map.

What about using the goggles that use your phone as a FPV screen, it works great. $20 for the goggles and $20 for the app. It even has a door on the back side that slides open so you can use the phones rear camera for LOS flying. You should try it. It is a whole new experience.

Be careful with those, I had my controller apart and noticed that the long screw that goes through this bracket and into the controller has cracked the plastic. On the inside of the controller, the long screw goes into another metal stud, and tightening the screw clamps the two together on a plastic stem. The stem has cracked almost to failure. I really do not have it that tight. But the extra clamping force and stiffness gives it no play and the plastic got stressed and cracked the whole length of the support stem.
I have this on both of my remote controllers. The wider foot provides a very stable mount. You can find it from China sellers direct for a bit less if you don't care for this seller (faadronedecals.com) or can wait for delivery.
Controller Bracket Holder DJI Stability Bracket Fits P3A, P3P, P4, 2016 Model
View attachment 57337

I had my controller apart and noticed that the long screw that goes through this bracket and into the controller has cracked the plastic.
There is a problem, in particular with the "B" version controller, with brittle plastic. They will crack easily with any mount, and even removing the screws to open the case tends to cause the plastic to crumble.

I put some super glue in many cracks while I had mine open for the antenna mod to try to keep things together.

Since then, I have found Plast-aid which would have been a much better solution. I bought it to strengthen the motor mount area of the arms when it gets back from the Hydro Dip, but have used it on a couple of other non-drone related repairs in the meantime and it is amazing stuff (just use in a well-ventilated area)!

Yeah I have seen that issue. This isn't it. The plastic in mine is good. I looked really close while I had it apart. I even used some needle nose to squeeze some of the stand offs. They were solid. It is only on this long stem or standoff that the holder attaches to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic