Just ordered a P3A

Reaction score
I am like a kid at Christmas, I've just ordered a P3A in the last 5 minutes and it'll be here in the morning.

I have a FC40 at the moment, but wasn't happy about the fact that I couldn't fit a gimbal unless I started messing about inside the drone, so I've been using a fixed mount for my Hero 4.

Anyway, the P3A comes tomorrow, with an extra battery and for less than a grand !

Before I get carried away with myself, is there anything I need to do with the P3 or is it ok to fly from the box. I had read somewhere about an update, but was confused as some folk said to do it and others have had snags. I'm in the UK if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Yes...its easy and in the time you need to charge the battery you can immediately fly...but.. dont destroy it at your first flight... read the manual carefully (and the manual isnt good as it was for the phantom2...)

My P3A is the best "toy" for this 45 year old man. Had it about 2 weeks and love it! Gets lots of attention too!

You will have to update out of the box. Or at least mine had to.

Just take it easy, fly in an open area and be mindful of the CSC command - Adam

Yeah and just know that if you change your controls to custom like I did (before my first flight even) your CSC is mapped different. No documentation, or no one mentioned that to me. Had to find out the hard way, luckily it was just that my copter flipped off its case on too thick grass the very first flight.

Update on my P3A.

UPS were supposed to deliver today, but decided to deliver the package to a different address, namely the local Amazon warehouse.

I contacted UPS and they told me that it would take about 2-3 moths to get any packages back that had been wrongly delivered.

I then contacted the shop where I bought the P3, and they in turn contacted UPS to confirm there had been a mistake.

They will be sending me a new drone on Monday, expected delivery date now Tuesday.

I am seriously not happy, this is the 2nd time that UPS have failed to deliver items to me and sent them off to another part of the country.

So the upshot is that I will be getting my new P3, but I'll have to wait another 4 days for it !!

Update on my P3A.

UPS were supposed to deliver today, but decided to deliver the package to a different address, namely the local Amazon warehouse.

I contacted UPS and they told me that it would take about 2-3 moths to get any packages back that had been wrongly delivered.

I then contacted the shop where I bought the P3, and they in turn contacted UPS to confirm there had been a mistake.

They will be sending me a new drone on Monday, expected delivery date now Tuesday.

I am seriously not happy, this is the 2nd time that UPS have failed to deliver items to me and sent them off to another part of the country.

So the upshot is that I will be getting my new P3, but I'll have to wait another 4 days for it !!
Oh man, that's some serious blue balls right there!

Reactions: tvckz
I am like a kid at Christmas, I've just ordered a P3A in the last 5 minutes and it'll be here in the morning.

I have a FC40 at the moment, but wasn't happy about the fact that I couldn't fit a gimbal unless I started messing about inside the drone, so I've been using a fixed mount for my Hero 4.

Anyway, the P3A comes tomorrow, with an extra battery and for less than a grand !

Before I get carried away with myself, is there anything I need to do with the P3 or is it ok to fly from the box. I had read somewhere about an update, but was confused as some folk said to do it and others have had snags. I'm in the UK if that helps.

Thanks in advance

I've only had my P3A for 30 flights, and not everything has gone smoothly, but overall it is a thrill and it so capable of shooting these incredible views (it is way more advanced than I!).

A couple of things that people told me when I was starting, and I've found to be helpful.

1. Read the manual, and disregard the "quick start" guide, as it is misses a lot of information.
2. DJI has some good "getting started" videos that can be easily watched in an hour or so.
3. Take your time.
4. Update the bird and RC to latest firmware, there are lots of discussions on how to do this.
5. Get Pilot or now its called "GO" up and running. Power on bird, RC with tablet and get acquainted with how much information that app can provide to you, as it is a great way to check systems, and quickly, pre-flight. I drained a couple of batteries just figuring out how to get around the basics of the app.
6. Calibrate IMU (flat, level table, cold bird), gimbal (again flat, level surface), IMU and RC.
7. Power up quad, RC + tablet, properly adjust antennas
8. Check all systems on app
9. Giggle, get nervous.
10. Fly.

It may pass, but each time I fly is this crazy mixture of elation, awe and dread.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Goldni and biff600
[QUOTE="SiliconGeek, post: 474736, member: 32743"

It may pass, but each time I fly is this crazy mixture of elation, awe and dread.

Best of luck![/QUOTE]

I've had my v1.1.1 since last Sept and still feel the same, I thought it was only me:eek:

DO NOT rely on the manual as the end-all, be-all, read it front-to-back and think it's time to fly without a hitch. Search here for "crash" and read through the various threads this evening. I bet you learn more in those threads than you'll get from the manual on what to do...and NOT to do.

Also, set your return-to-home altitude higher than any nearby obstructions before you fly. A few of us can vouch for that advice after learning the hard way. :-(

DO NOT rely on the manual as the end-all, be-all, read it front-to-back and think it's time to fly without a hitch. Search here for "crash" and read through the various threads this evening. I bet you learn more in those threads than you'll get from the manual on what to do...and NOT to do.

Also, set your return-to-home altitude higher than any nearby obstructions before you fly. A few of us can vouch for that advice after learning the hard way. :-(

Totally agree with RiskFactor, the manual is not perfect, or complete, and also agree that this forum is very full of good information. Some of the folks on this forum are very, very knowledgeable!

By the way, the importance of the RTH altitude advice was taught to me on this forum, and not by the rather bland language of the manual.

Reactions: biff600

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic