Just had my P3A battery Modded! Will post results of flight time tomorrow.

Reaction score
Just done the battery mod on my P3A, or should I say my friend did it for me.

Will be running with 2 extra 1600MaH 4S batts, looking forward to seeing what gains I make from this!

Attachments

• 20190117_213701.jpg
    20190117_213701.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 384
  • 20190117_222209.jpg
    20190117_222209.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 457
I may be just commenting on something you already know :

The DJI battery pack is a 4S High Voltage rated pack ... not a normal rated LiPo ...

The DJI cells are what are termed LiHV ... and they are rated to full charged at 4.35V per cell.

Normal LiPo cells are rated to 4.20V per cell.

If you were to plug in normal LiPo 4S packs to your full charged DJI LiHV pack - I would advise you against such. The first thing that will happen is the LiHV pack will try to equalise with the lower voltage LiPo cells ... and the consequences cannot be overstated that you run serious risks.

If you are going to plug in extra packs - PLEASE make sure they are LiHV packs ... AND that each pack is at similar state of charge.

It is extremely unwise to connect a part charged pack to a full one ... the initial current flow can be sufficient to create what is commonly termed "magic smoke" ...

Nigel

Just done the battery mod on my P3A, or should I say my friend did it for me.

Will be running with 2 extra 1600MaH 4S batts, looking forward to seeing what gains I make from this!

Be sure you contain the smoke at all costs. I notice an apparent lack of any fuse between the packs. My experience of 30 years repairing electronics is that upon letting the smoke escape, devices fail to function as expected. My prediction is any added flight time will be mitigated by extra weight. But test flights will be interesting.

I look forward to hearing flight results, complete with photos of the incident.

Reactions: awasos21 and Rcave
There are various Youtube videos of using such add-on packs ... the simplest and best is the copper plate adaptor that needs no cable soldered to the battery board.

Yes - the increased flight time is not a linear factor ... it is a compound result of increased weight vs increased capacity.

I have various twin battery machines and usually I get about 60% flight time increase for 2x capacity. But that's only an indication as it depends on model etc.

Nigel

C'mon Jordan ... any update ?

Reactions: Scott Davis
Hope you get good results Jordon i fly a P3 A with a pair of 5200 hv lipos made over 40 minutes and a long range flight of 11.4 miles out and back thats a total of 22.8 with 3 % left :)

Reactions: Jordan-Drones

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl