Just got phantom 4 no fly zone questions!

Reaction score
so I just got the phantom 4 yesterday and tried to fly today and I live near d.c so it said I couldn't not fly unless I go about 20 miles south. My 2 questions are one can I get around this and 2 is this the case with all drone brands that will not let you fly. I had a bebop 2 and it would fly here just fine so cannot figure out why this won't.

Thank you

Where exactly are you? I live in Sterling, VA and am in a window between the DC NFZ and the Dulles restricted area. No issues flying here.

I was also thinking about this today. Not that I intend on flying in any no fly zones. But how does it work? Does it give you the option to override much like the 400ft ceiling or will the aircraft just not take off at all?? Also, what happens if your flying and attempt to fly into a no fly zone? Will the aircraft stop and come to a hover at the edge of the red zone?

Alexandria and how are u flying in the red

Also how could my bebop do it?

I'm outside the red.

7c9b902ba573d8a0c9a62ecb1cae6cfa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky so I guess I just can't have a dji product since it won't take off. It's just frustrating cause parrot drones work and some other companies but not dji like why.

The whole DC area is a no flying zone

That is a generalization that is not useful. I suggest using the official FAA statement:

The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.

The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.
  • Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
  • Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
    • Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
    • Aircraft must be registered and marked
    • Fly below 400 ft.
    • Fly within visual line-of-sight
    • Fly in clear weather conditions
    • Never fly near other aircraft

3d85a7871bf80f2a80ab03f987513273.jpg

You're right, Washington DC is a red zone for drones as well as the area surrounding it... the 30 miles radius on the outer loop is outside the DC borders

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

And the SFRA centers at Reagan airport, so Alexandria is pretty darn close to center.

By why does my bebop 2 fly hear any ideas

Probably because it has no geo-fence installed in it where the DJI birds do.

I've wondered if the big birds, e.g. the DJI S1000, xFold Dragon, and FreeFly Alta's, don't use the geo-fence methodology either?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic