Just got one of these Chargers, works well

Reaction score
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=pr ... uct_id=173

Just got one of these chargers, My impression so far, seem to work well, look good also. One great feature is a voltage meter, so you can see if you need to balance your cells, or not. The fan only kicks in when at a certain temp, and loud when it does, as it has 2, I think big fans.

This is great as fans tend to wear out and suck in the dust. So the less they are on the better.

Can also hook up to your PC, but overall a nice Charger. Great finish, and touch screen as safety features you can enable and features for advanced users are available, there are heaps of options as well as you can preset 5 charge options.

The pic with the hand in the banner is way off scale. Notice the XT60 connector on the side of the unit... large overall but not that big.

I went with a Thunder AC6 (<$60 from Amazon) which has pretty much all the same features. The USB connection and software are a PITA to use, so I just don't bother. Unit will charge one of my Tenergy Propel 2200 batteries @ 3c in about 36-38 minutes.

I'm honestly checking into the Hitec 44151 X4 Quad DC Multi-Charger because it will literally charge 4 LiPo packs at the same time, cutting my overall charging time in half (four packs to full charge in about one hour). I figure with 8 LiPos and this charger, I can pretty much fly continuously.

:p

sn3ak3rp1mp said:
The pic with the hand in the banner is way off scale. Notice the XT60 connector on the side of the unit... large overall but not that big.

I went with a Thunder AC6 (<$60 from Amazon) which has pretty much all the same features. The USB connection and software are a PITA to use, so I just don't bother. Unit will charge one of my Tenergy Propel 2200 batteries @ 3c in about 36-38 minutes.

I'm honestly checking into the Hitec 44151 X4 Quad DC Multi-Charger because it will literally charge 4 LiPo packs at the same time, cutting my overall charging time in half (four packs to full charge in about one hour). I figure with 8 LiPos and this charger, I can pretty much fly continuously.

:p

I prefer not to use fast charge, for the simple fact it shortens the life of your batteries, so prefer the standard 1 hour charge of a 2200 batteries.

If you want your batteries to last longer do not use fast charge.

Yep, well aware of the supposed "perils" of charging at the 3c rate. With batteries at $20, I'm not worried about getting years of use out of them to be honest. I'd rather have the flight time. The hobby is expensive in many other areas than just the batteries.

But of course, yes you are correct charging at anything above 1c will technically shorten the life of the battery. But so will flying hard, draining the battery quickly. It's the same process just going in the opposite direction, the chemical reaction in reverse.

Cheers,
Paul

sn3ak3rp1mp said:
Yep, well aware of the supposed "perils" of charging at the 3c rate. With batteries at $20, I'm not worried about getting years of use out of them to be honest. I'd rather have the flight time. The hobby is expensive in many other areas than just the batteries.

But of course, yes you are correct charging at anything above 1c will technically shorten the life of the battery. But so will flying hard, draining the battery quickly. It's the same process just going in the opposite direction, the chemical reaction in reverse.

Cheers,
Paul

Been out today, a little windy, drains battery faster.

For my Phantom batterypacks I use this charger from HobbyKing:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...x6S_Lithium_Polymer_Battery_Pack_Charger.html
It has served me well for a couple of years, I also use it for my T-Rex450- and some small planespacks. Its two things that is important to me, you can charge 4 packs ( I charge at 4 amps, almost 2C) and the fact that you can see how much juice you squeeze into the pack, as I keep a log on my iPad over flights and batterypacks. For my bigger helis with up to 12S packs I use a big ThunderPower charger and a PowerLab charger and a 2000W powersupply.
I do not like the DJI charger too much as it never balances the cells completely.
TG4.jpg

@telecaster: I assume that charger requires an external power supply? If so, can you please share which one you're using? That looks exactly like what I'm looking for in my next charger.

sn3ak3rp1mp said:
@telecaster: I assume that charger requires an external power supply? If so, can you please share which one you're using? That looks exactly like what I'm looking for in my next charger.
The charger I use is replaced with this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=18812

You need a powersupply wth at least 500W at 12 Volts, sometimes you see the specs as 12V 40A
if you think you are going to use it at full speed.

I use a 13.6V 20A powersupply for this kindof charging as I almost never charge at more than
1C ie 2.2A per port, the charger has 4 ports.
Sometimes when I have a lot of batterypacks to charge I charge at 4A per port, still inside
the 20A limit of my powersupply.

If you have an old PC you could rip the powersupply out of it, they are usually highquality units.
Hope this helps
:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31