Just got camera less P2v+ , how to track it?

Reaction score
IMG_5833.JPG
Hi im new to quads, i just got a used phantom 2 vision plus that has had the camera and gimbal removed. I kno i should get a p3a or better but this was only 180$. So for now I am using a go pro 5 black for video and my iphone 6s+ for the short range im able to do fpv with it using gopro app.

My question. Do I have to buy a used 300$+ p2vision plus gimbal and cam set up off ebay to get the ability to run dji software and get long range fpv? What about just ability to find it if it gets away from me?

Because right now I have only line of sight control and short range fpv. No tracking ability, no way to know my signal strength or all the other important telemetry info.

I just got it yesterday and did my first flights today. Its amazing! Im in love.. by far the best 200$ i ever spent. Icant wait to get a mavic pro but for now im learning on a serious budget.

Any help, ideas, suggestions on what i can do to improve my experience is so greatly appreciated thAnk you!

View attachment 72074 Hi im new to quads, i just got a used phantom 2 vision plus that has had the camera and gimbal removed. I kno i should get a p3a or better but this was only 180$. So for now I am using a go pro 5 black for video and my iphone 6s+ for the short range im able to do fpv with it using gopro app.

My question. Do I have to buy a used 300$+ p2vision plus gimbal and cam set up off ebay to get the ability to run dji software and get long range fpv? What about just ability to find it if it gets away from me?

Because right now I have only line of sight control and short range fpv. No tracking ability, no way to know my signal strength or all the other important telemetry info.

I just got it yesterday and did my first flights today. Its amazing! Im in love.. by far the best 200$ i ever spent. Icant wait to get a mavic pro but for now im learning on a serious budget.

Any help, ideas, suggestions on what i can do to improve my experience is so greatly appreciated thAnk you!
You can search on here as plenty of people have moved from the stock camera to a gopro setup. Best of luck!

Reactions: Bufford
You can search on here as plenty of people have moved from the stock camera to a gopro setup. Best of luck!
I too am a new member to the DJI Phantom 2 +, no gimble and camera also, got mine for $60.00 bucks from someone who had soldered a motor in wrong on the ecs board, all checked out now and waiting for weather to clear, would like other options also to camera/gimble choices too.

Im trying to quik sell it for 200'ish and sell go pro 5 black for 300'ish and get a p3 advanced or pro if i can swing it... i also got a brand new bike with 2 grand in mods im tryn to sell for 500 to buy another mavic pro with if i can swing all that lol

After seeing p2 v plus for 299$ shipped on ebay today igot a lil sick... i dont get how guys ask 250-350 for the gimbal/cam system for it when its same price complete. Why? Seems like i should be able to replace my cam/gimble for 100$ being the way the phantoms are priced right now.
I dont want to use go pro cuz of the major range limitation and lag versus the dji camera systems

Note: when i started looking for cheapy i was not considering anything but a new toy grade quad in the 150-200 range off amazon or ebay. It wasnt until i seen the used prices of phantoms on craigslist that i decided to pursue one but also got inpatient and did not research enough to learn that all the dji software needs the stock gimbal/cam system. I figured this was the best route cuz it had the latest upgrades for p2 platform. I did not realize i could not use dji apps with my go pro for telemetry just because the factory cam n gimbal was gone

Question. I noticed the cam/gimbal kit for the regular p2 vision is only 60$... will that plug in and work also but just offerless pic quality?

Whatdo u think is cheapest way to put long range no lagg fpv system on it?

Seems like these are only a fly by sight toy quad alternative or a closer range limited camera solution

What about figuring my signal strength, number of gps satelites connected or other crucial parameters on pre flight check list requiring dji app etc

View attachment 72074 Hi im new to quads, i just got a used phantom 2 vision plus that has had the camera and gimbal removed. I kno i should get a p3a or better but this was only 180$. So for now I am using a go pro 5 black for video and my iphone 6s+ for the short range im able to do fpv with it using gopro app.

Can be done.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 17 - RC Groups

To get telemetry (battery, radar, etc), all you need to do is activate the wifi module. The wifi module will remain off if no gimbal board is attached to it. The gimbal board acts as to bridge to power the wifi module. There is a workaround. If you read the instructions from PITCHER 8811 in the link above, all you need to do is rewire 1 cable to power up the module.

Reactions: Brent10
Maco79's link above is full of good info.
As for me, I use a DronExpert quick release with a Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro 3+ on my P2V+ and have all App info and FPV video.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic