Just Got a P3S, Should I update to the Latest Firmware?

Reaction score
Just got a Phantom 3 Standard last Friday but weather conditions haven't been playing well so I haven't been able to fly it yet. I was wanting to get it all updated and set up but after doing some research I have seen a lot of people complaining about the new software. My question is can I update the firmware to an older version that is guaranteed to be stable? Or am I required to update the newest firmware? I haven't even powered the phantom on yet so I'm not even sure which version is on it currently. Any help would be great, thanks!!

This kind of question is asked again and again. I think DJI should keep a reply along with a quick start haha.

SW/ FW upgrade is not a rocket science and any one who knows the process can easily do it. In my opinion, one should first check if all is working and have a test flight , then think of upgrading else you don't know who to blame if you have the problem .

Suggestion, go ahead and fly first after going through calibrations.

This kind of question is asked again and again. I think DJI should keep a reply along with a quick start haha.

SW/ FW upgrade is not a rocket science and any one who knows the process can easily do it. In my opinion, one should first check if all is working and have a test flight , then think of upgrading else you don't know who to blame if you have the problem .

Suggestion, go ahead and fly first after going through calibrations.

Okay thank you for the quick response. Everyone talking bad about the updated discouraged me from wanting to update as well lol so this sounds like a good plan. I will just set it up and try to test it without updating and see how that goes.

Okay thank you for the quick response. Everyone talking bad about the updated discouraged me from wanting to update as well lol so this sounds like a good plan. I will just set it up and try to test it without updating and see how that goes.
You chose wisely. I totally agree with Alok.

Updating the FW is not required even if the app is telling you that new FW is available. Using what you get when it arrives will give you a chance to check out your new drone for any unlikely infant mortality (early life) type of electronic issues, to understand the relationship between the RC, the AC, your mobile device, and the software, plus learn the many nuances of the design and it's features. Once you are very comfortable with what you have, you will better understand the forum discussions about pros/cons with each FW version and you can make a more educated decision about which version you prefer if you make the choice to update. You will also be in a better position to recognize any issues that are introduced if you do decide to update.

I cringe when I read about people who immediately update their firmware before they even know how to fly or before they know yet if what they have is fully functional. Then it's more difficult to diagnose or recognize any issues, and much more difficult if not impossible to go back to what they started with when new.

If you do make the choice to update, follow these steps closely.

As always, just my humble opinion. Cheers and good luck sir!

No you don't need to update. Yeah you can downgrade if you chose. Best do nothing except try out what you got. If you FW currently installed on your drone is v1.7.n you are on the latest. Downgrade (v1.6.n) from there will likely cause more grief than pleasure. If your current version is v1.6.n, try it out. You may find you (may start to) lose you signal even with your drone nearby (i.e. 300 meters). If your current version is v1.5.n, IMHO, dont even think about upgrading :)

You chose wisely. I totally agree with Alok.

Updating the FW is not required even if the app is telling you that new FW is available. Using what you get when it arrives will give you a chance to check out your new drone for any unlikely infant mortality (early life) type of electronic issues, to understand the relationship between the RC, the AC, your mobile device, and the software, plus learn the many nuances of the design and it's features. Once you are very comfortable with what you have, you will better understand the forum discussions about pros/cons with each FW version and you can make a more educated decision about which version you prefer if you make the choice to update. You will also be in a better position to recognize any issues that are introduced if you do decide to update.

I cringe when I read about people who immediately update their firmware before they even know how to fly or before they know yet if what they have is fully functional. Then it's more difficult to diagnose or recognize any issues, and much more difficult if not impossible to go back to what they started with when new.

If you do make the choice to update, follow these steps closely.

As always, just my humble opinion. Cheers and good luck sir!

Thank you for the information!! I am waiting on my battery to charge now then Im gonna power it up and see if I can find the version Im currently running. As you said I think it would be best to get used to it as-is then read up on all the differences in firmware from there. I will update you guys when I power it up and find out the version Im on. Again I appreciate the help!!

No you don't need to update. Yeah you can downgrade if you chose. Best do nothing except try out what you got. If you FW currently installed on your drone is v1.7.n you are on the latest. Downgrade (v1.6.n) from there will likely cause more grief than pleasure. If your current version is v1.6.n, try it out. You may find you (may start to) lose you signal even with your drone nearby (i.e. 300 meters). If your current version is v1.5.n, IMHO, dont even think about upgrading :)

I will be updating the thread with the version Im running when I get it powered up, just waiting on the battery to get done charging as mentioned above. Hopefully Im on v1.5 as you mentioned ;) How bad is the signal loss problem on 1.6? Im hoping I start out on an older version so I dont have to wait for a newer update to have a reliable drone...

Thank you for the information!! I am waiting on my battery to charge now then Im gonna power it up and see if I can find the version Im currently running. As you said I think it would be best to get used to it as-is then read up on all the differences in firmware from there. I will update you guys when I power it up and find out the version Im on. Again I appreciate the help!!

I will be updating the thread with the version Im running when I get it powered up, just waiting on the battery to get done charging as mentioned above. Hopefully Im on v1.5 as you mentioned ;) How bad is the signal loss problem on 1.6? Im hoping I start out on an older version so I dont have to wait for a newer update to have a reliable drone...

I got my drone in September and I did update to v1.6.n The loss of signal that all talk about made no difference to me. I was scared sh!77less to fly my drone further than 100 meters from my position. Once I overcame my fear I was getting 500+m before I lost signal. FW v1.7.n was not out at the time so I downgraded to v1.5.n Without any boosters I got 700+ meters before I actually see a drop in signal strength. I have gotten as far as 1200 meters and still had a signal. I did add a windsurfer ($10 on ebay or you can make your own) to my controller for reasons I still dont understand. I have no interest in sending my drone out of line of sight unless its on a Litchi Mission which does not require a connection between your controller and the drone.

Recently, I upgraded to v1.7.n and had some issues the first day (Interference warning messages) but I have no idea if it was the FW or the newly updated DJI-Go app (I also use the Litch App and have had no such issues). For some unknown reasons all these hiccups disappeared and I think v1.7.n is as good as v1.5.n was Why I still favor the latter is only because I did have minor issues with 1.7 and none with v1.5

I got my drone in September and I did update to v1.6.n The loss of signal that all talk about made no difference to me. I was scared sh!77less to fly my drone further than 100 meters from my position. Once I overcame my fear I was getting 500+m before I lost signal. FW v1.7.n was not out at the time so I downgraded to v1.5.n Without any boosters I got 700+ meters before I actually see a drop in signal strength. I have gotten as far as 1200 meters and still had a signal. I did add a windsurfer ($10 on ebay or you can make your own) to my controller for reasons I still dont understand. I have no interest in sending my drone out of line of sight unless its on a Litchi Mission which does not require a connection between your controller and the drone.

Recently, I upgraded to v1.7.n and had some issues the first day (Interference warning messages) but I have no idea if it was the FW or the newly updated DJI-Go app (I also use the Litch App and have had no such issues). For some unknown reasons all these hiccups disappeared and I think v1.7.n is as good as v1.5.n was Why I still favor the latter is only because I did have minor issues with 1.7 and none with v1.5

Okay that makes me feel better then about the FW and signal loss :p I ordered one of these -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCVU4TA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - that should be here by tomorrow, is that what you were mentioning with the booster? I dont really have any interest in going out of sight unless its to get some cool footage but I dont planning on doing any of that till I fully get used to flying my phantom. I have a Syma X5c that I have been practicing and playing around on first then moving up to my phantom. On a second note, how good is the litchi app in your opinion? I have heard about it from a lot of people, some good some bad, but is it only for sending your drone on missions as you mentioned? Or is it more of a DJI GO app replacement? Sorry if Im asking basic questions, I have already looked up the litchi app I just dont know if it'd be very useful for me. Thanks again for the help!

I agree that charging and flying in its initial configuration is probably the smart decision. I personally do tend to keep my P3S up to date, but not without a little hesitation. I'd definitely advise checking around before updating to ensure the new firmware doesn't cause a reduction in performance or safety.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I had to talk to Dji support about what appears to be a hardware issue on my P3S after a FW change. They mentioned that FW 1.0.8.X will be coming out soon. I've learned my lesson...Don't upgrade/downgrade FW unless there's very good reason, and it has been well proven by the brave that venture before us!

Last edited:
just booted up and checked, this is what I came up with - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - Not sure why but it says unknown. Also is there a button or something I have to press to get the SD Card out? I tried pushing on it but nothing is happening almost as if its stuck in there. I recorded a test video and that worked fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

I too have a new P3S and my firmware version says unknown??
It flies great though with no problems what so ever so far. So i have no plans on changing mine unless something happens to where i have to.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

just booted up and checked, this is what I came up with - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - Not sure why but it says unknown. Also is there a button or something I have to press to get the SD Card out? I tried pushing on it but nothing is happening almost as if its stuck in there. I recorded a test video and that worked fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sd card just pops out once depressed far enough. It can be a pain. I have to use my finger nail or a micro screwdriver

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
I ordered one of these -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCVU4TA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - that should be here by tomorrow, is that what you were mentioning with the booster?!

That be it ;)

On a second note, how good is the litchi app in your opinion?!
Asked the same thing on this forum (or other) before I "pulled the trigger" on Litchi. Got back nothing but positive comments. It, like all SW, has its problems But I think it so good I can live with its shortcoming (which I really dont care about anyways ;) ) As I said earlier, I dont like sending my drone out great distances and risk losing signal. Which Litchi, however, I can create missions even beyond the signal range of the P3s or, more importantly, places that are hard to reach. Fort example shooting video of a landmark on an island only accessible by boat. There are lost more features than Missions and overall it provides a good alternative to DJI-Go.

There are a bunch of posts about the "Version Unknown" attribute. Most, if not all, pertain to those who recently upgraded to v1.7.n

As for the SD card.... Whad abadrs said ;)

My P3S FW for the AC (under about) also stated unknown. It also didn't tell me to update the FW. If it works, best to leave it alone. Some folks stated the GO didn't mention a FW upgrade until after several flights.

On the SD card removal....it gets easy to remove after the camera heats up a bit. While playing with the simulator and settings, the camera tends to get pretty warm. It should be the familiar click in and click out. It also was very difficult for me to remove the SD card at first.

my firm ware on ps 3. Standard said unknown can someone help me and tell me what I need to do plse .dgi go app does not said to update firm ware Help help

Still haven't got a response from nobody help plse

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20