Just discovered auto-pitch (gimbal-like) leveling!

Reaction score
I feel like the last person to have discovered this, even though I haven't read about it on any of the forums or manual. I hooked up the pitch wires of the Phantom 2's receiver to my camera attached servo (pitches up and down with rear RC lever) and was confused about how level the video has been in flight despite maneuvers. Just discovered today that when I hold the Phantom in my hand and pitch it up and down, the servo auto-stablizes to keep it level. It's like the Phantom has a built in gimbal-like feature. This is so cool, just had to share since no one else has mentioned it anywhere.

UPDATED: here's a video of the servo in action.

https://vimeo.com/108409001

Enjoy!

I am guessing that you are talking about the Phantom 2 Vision. The only reference I see is the specs on the camera. It references the pitch angle of 0 - 60 degrees. Since I fly an FC40, I didn't read the manual for the Phantom.

No, the Phantom 2 NON vision. It automatically levels out the pitch for you when you attach a servo to a FPV camera. It's really cool. I'll have to post a video.

The NAZA flight controller has been able to control pitch and roll of a gimbal since before the Phantom :) I don't know if you can access the settings via NAZA mode on a P2, but the function has always been a part of it.

The NAZA was designed to be used on many other platforms besides the Phantom, and when it first came out a larger percentage of gimbals were servo based...as far as your Phantom knows it's just controlling half of one of those :D

So cool

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers