Just curious about this

Reaction score
I use an Ipad mini with retina as my display. Its a Wifi only device. First should i disable wifi while i fly if im around a wifi signal? I also have a Iphone 6Plus. What is better to use? Does wifi or cell service interfer with anything on the P3A?

People do recommend that you put the iPad / iPhone into Airplane mode but it's not an absolute thing. The Go app should not lose control if you have an incoming phone or text although I'm not sure I can say the same for the pilot. My understanding is that the iDevice is not talking to either the Phantom or the RC via wifi - it's the RC that is talking to the drone, so any local interference really won't changed by the pad.

The new Geofencing behavior may complicate this way of thinking since at least at some point the system is going to want to phone home to mama.

Chances are good that it would not interfere but it could. Both operate on the 2.4Ghz band. So it can't hurt to turn off WiFi but chances are good that it would not be an issue. You may want to turn on airplane mode to kill Wifi and cell service. What happens if you are flying and get a call? You should be able to ignore that call just fine but it does interfere slightly with flying. It's more a matter of preference.

Which is better? The one that you like best.

Ive been using the Mini just simply for the larger diplay. But am i losing any functionality by not having a device with cell service?

Can't speak to an iPhone/iPad as I am an Android guy but, using my Nexus 7 (2013) I have it Wi-Fi tethered to my phone in my pocket. Bluetooth is enabled on the phone & the Bluetooth is normally in my ear. With both the P3 & my Vision+ I am quite often chatting on the phone via Bluetooth while flying. It has never had any effect on the connection with the aircraft.

Ive been using the Mini just simply for the larger diplay. But am i losing any functionality by not having a device with cell service?
If you do not have Internet at site, you won't get new maps, app will use previously cached maps if any. No other functionality will be lost.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.