Just crashed!!!!

Reaction score
Just crashed my Phantom 3Pro. I was banking hard and one of the props spun off. It tumbled down about 60 feet and hit the turf hard. I have a couple questions. I was flying on a brand new battery, literally just charged it this morning for the first time. It looks like its still in good shape. Do I toss it just in case? Second, I just started flying for the day and I have 5 other batteries that are fully charged. I obviously cant discharge them since I dont have the quad. Will they be fine until my new one arrives?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: I now believe one of my props cracked in the air because of the added pressure I put on them by flying it way too hard. Prop also could have had a crack in it from a previous incident. Either way, let my loss be your gain. Remember the preflight check!!!!

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Last edited:
It looks like its still in good shape. Do I toss it just in case?
It should be fine if it's not physically punctured or damaged in some other way.

I just started flying for the day and I have 5 other batteries that are fully charged. I obviously cant discharge them since I dont have the quad.
They will auto discharge down to a safe storage level. Don't press the button on the batteries (it'll prevent them from discharging).

Will they be fine until my new one arrives?
Yes, the DJI Intelligent Discharge should discharge them after 10 days. Your crashed batt. should be fine; charge it carefully the first time and make sure nothing goes wrong.

Reactions: bunkphenomenon
I would like to find out how that happened maybe pilot era

I would like to find out how that happened maybe pilot era

Could be. I'm no pro and I was flying it pretty hard. Nothing different from my previous flights though. Maybe the drone Gods just want me to buy a 4? If I didnt have so much invested in the 3 platform maybe I would.

Reactions: ELHEAPO
did you forget to tighten/'snug' those props? :O

Any other reason why it might of flew off?

I don't think so but I have the one that flew off and its not stripped or anything. I'm human so I could have made a mistake. I was flying for a while though so I would think it would have self tightened if I did.

always snug them it now sounds like pilot era for sure

Well I'm not expert on the P3 but surely if you were bombing it around with correctly tightened props, you wouldn't crash like that? I would of thought it could handle it. I know you said you banked but did you harshly brake at all or anything? How long have you had the drone?

Sh!T...Atleast you recovered bro.. My situation wasnt too lucky.. My drone didnt recovery.. I will share you the horror footage. I dont want to hijack your thread..

Reactions: jptsr1
Well I'm not expert on the P3 but surely if you were bombing it around with correctly tightened props, you wouldn't crash like that? I would of thought it could handle it. I know you said you banked but did you harshly brake at all or anything? How long have you had the drone?

Yep, several times. Didn't think that would be an issue. Had it about 4 months.

I was flying my drone today. As I put the props on I noticed one didn't feel so tight. I had a closer look and noticed that it wouldn't tighten fully....the thread had obviously worn. No problem as I swapped it out for a new one but it made me realise what a design fault having plastic threads against a metal spindle is.

This issue could happen to any of us. I guess this is why DJI has changed the props for the Phantom 4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Now that I'm looking at the post crash pics I have one prop that broke and one that came off. I assumed the broken one happened after the crash but now I'm thinking the prop may have cracked first then the crash then the other prop may have come off when I hit the ground. Although I'm 99% sure I tightened them what I didn't do is check my props for cracks.

I don't think so but I have the one that flew off and its not stripped or anything. I'm human so I could have made a mistake. I was flying for a while though so I would think it would have self tightened if I did.
With the existing props design, one should be careful in sudden braking. Obviously frequent braking during a flight is risky. Increasing speed is not a problem though.

I noticed improved props design for P4.

With the existing props design, one should be careful in sudden braking. Obviously frequent braking during a flight is risky. Increasing speed is not a problem though.

I noticed improved props design for P4.

Yeah, and I did that a lot. It was one of my favorite things. I liked to come in hard and slam on the brakes to hear that roar. Of course in hindsight thats stupid.

My FC40 had aftermarket props with aluminum threads. Never had a problem.
I'm thinking buying after market props if this plastic thread is going to be an issue

I think now the crack happened before the prop coming off. I have all of the props and none of them are stripped.

Yeah, and I did that a lot. It was one of my favorite things. I liked to come in hard and slam on the brakes to hear that roar. Of course in hindsight thats stupid.
I know doing that is a great fun but our poor P3 can't take that hit. Contact DJI service for compensation against poor design.

Reactions: jptsr1

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20