Just completed my first night flight

Reaction score
Just came in from completing a 20 minute or so night flight over a large lake. Had a clear view of its flashing lights in the night sky for much of its journey then used the satellite image to watch the remainder. Have been enjoying this Phantom more and more each and every time I take it out.

I actually prefer night flying. I can look down and watch video feed and look back up and still see the bird. I can see anything else up there easier too. No birds to contend with. For me, the night sky is less vast and makes me feel more at ease flying- mostly because I can see the bird at all times. I did around six flights with the front red lights off to try and get used to that but I do not recommend it. The rear greens alone are not enough for orientation. I keep the camera angle as such to minimize almost completely the red blooming that can happen. I just will not fly without the front reds on. For still pictures, different story but even then, take pic, on go the lights. I do a lot of night flying for a reason. Check out my recent video in the video/picture forum to see why.

Enjoy the night!

I actually prefer night flying. I can look down and watch video feed and look back up and still see the bird. I can see anything else up there easier too. No birds to contend with. For me, the night sky is less vast and makes me feel more at ease flying- mostly because I can see the bird at all times. I did around six flights with the front red lights off to try and get used to that but I do not recommend it. The rear greens alone are not enough for orientation. I keep the camera angle as such to minimize almost completely the red blooming that can happen. I just will not fly without the front reds on. For still pictures, different story but even then, take pic, on go the lights. I do a lot of night flying for a reason. Check out my recent video in the video/picture forum to see why.

Enjoy the night!
Night flight is fun I live out in a area where there's no obstacles and no homes for several acres. My phantoms camera doesn't work so well when it gets too dark. So I use my DJI f450 with a simple night vision camera with the IR lens removed 5.8 video feed and such fun to see all of the living creatures out there!! Then for landing I have a flashing infrared flasher to fly back to for a hand catch.

I flew the other night with a bright moon. I got some awesome pictures.

Reactions: BlackJack
The phantom 3 is actually not bad at night stuff. Here's two videos to compare. The Christmas Tree is with a PV+, I had to film at dusk which looked like night but the final shot was taken at night and you can clearly see the snow. Terrible! The fireworks was with a P3. So much better.

I love night flying but the issue I'm having for the past few weeks is strong winds.

When I say strong I mean 15-20mph ground level and 50m+ your looking at 40mph+ wind speeds.

Just today due to the winds some poor bloke got blown onto a bus (now imagine how strong the winds are).

I been grounded for a few weeks and fingers are aching to take my P3 out for a flight.

Loving those videos guys.

Man dies after he was 'blown into side of bus by wind'

Glad that there is some positive night flying going on. Working 10 hours doesn't give much daylight.

Agree, flying the night sky is a lot of fun. My only fear in the summer months are large carnivorous bats. So I keep my collar rolled up. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Jbundy63
I love night flying as well. A capture of a new shopping mall in my area.

The Village.jpg

Reactions: Jbundy63

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl