Just bought phantom 3 advanced getting delivered tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, good evening very exited about my p3 being delivered tomorrow, apart from updating firmware in quad and in controller if needed, and also calibrating Imu and compass prior to flight is there anything also I'm missing before I set for first flight. I have upgraded from fc40 so a big step. Thanks in advance much appreciated.
Lee

Also will be using a galaxy tab 4 7", can anyone confirm this works well? Thank you

Oh right so Imu not essential I heard calibrate Imu after every firmware update, am I wrong ?

To be honest there's no clean answer.

DJI don't think it's needed (or it would be forced after a FW update)

Knowledgeable people sit both sides of the fence, in my mind it's logical to only calibrate (IMU and compass) when it's needed as a bad calibration will be much worse than replacing a good one with another good one. BUT (as the 2nd post said) many will disagree with me though so you'll need to make your own mind up.

just do the imu call.. it only takes a few mins. if something goes wrong you will wish you did it. (do it when the phantom is cold as well) I have had my p3a for two months now and only done two imu calibrations. one when I first got it and the second when I updated to 1.4 firmware. it fly's fantastic. got 33 flights now with no problems.

Welcome to the forum.

Any technical questions can be answered by fellow knowledegable members.

Some answers may conflict, however they are all rite in their own way lol.

IMU wise, I only did/do it after upgrading the firmware, that was after I popped the P3 into the Fridge to cool down (cooling down reduces warm up time = quicker start to flying lol).

Compass calibration is something I do every time I'm at a new location, wether it is 2 miles away or 100 miles away, I still do it, it don't hurt and don't take up much time too.

One thing as a must which I shall advise on is a pre flight check, make sure that is done every time and never skip a beat while doing that.

Most of the horror stories are usually 99.9% pilot error so you may want to read through them without taking much notice if you do your pre flight checks as mentioned above and also fly responsibly.

Once again welcome to the forum.

Reactions: lotusteve
P.S that 0.1% out of the 99.9% pilot error is....hey its electronics, they can fail at times lol

Of course there's also those that say you shouldn't put the phantom in the fridge because of the condensation risk...

Obviously I'm not one as I've never needed to do an IMU calibration.

Welcome, enjoy the flying, and take 99% of what you read on here with a pinch of salt. Unless it's accompanied by a link to an official document from DJI it is just one persons opinion. (This includes my views)

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Of course there's also those that say you shouldn't put the phantom in the fridge because of the condensation risk...

Obviously I'm not one as I've never needed to do an IMU calibration.

Welcome, enjoy the flying, and take 99% of what you read on here with a pinch of salt. Unless it's accompanied by a link to an official document from DJI it is just one persons opinion. (This includes my views)

Chris P what if I hate salt :eek:

Reactions: Chris P Duck
Hey guys and girls, good evening very exited about my p3 being delivered tomorrow, apart from updating firmware in quad and in controller if needed, and also calibrating Imu and compass prior to flight is there anything also I'm missing before I set for first flight. I have upgraded from fc40 so a big step. Thanks in advance much appreciated.
Lee

Also will be using a galaxy tab 4 7", can anyone confirm this works well? Thank you

I am upgrading from the P3S to the P3A, I am sure I wont see it until next week I had to return the P3S because the gimbal USB didn't work, so I decided just to upgrade to the P3A. The P3S flew really well and the video and pictures were awesome, never had any issues with it other than the USB issue. But I am looking forward to the P3A for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav