Just bought a Phanton 4. Observations and a few questions.

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new to the world of drones so go easy on me.

I initially bought a cheapo Protocol Dronium. The one day I had it was quite frustrating trying to maintain control of the thing, being that I'm a novice but I was able to fly around a bit for it's 5 minute battery life without any significant crashing. Anyway, the next day the thing wouldn't even power up anymore. Perfect condition, not a scratch on it. I returned it and instead bought a Phanton 3 Standard. Thing flew amazingly, but didn't have enough range for me. It would only go about 300ft at around 200ft altitude before I'd get the return to home message. But so easy to fly!! Anyway I figured the lack of range was a combination of operator error, limitations of the technology and interference in the suburban parks I was flying in.

Anyway fast forward to yesterday, I returned the Phantom 3 Standard and purchased a Phantom 4.

My first observation with the Phantom 4 is that with drones, you certainly get what you pay for. The quality of the Phantom 4 is excellent. I highly recommend that anybody who is interested in getting into drone flying, to at minimum start with something like the Phantom 3 Standard. Trying to keep one of those cheap <$100 drones up in the air would be so frustrating for most new pilots that they would be likely to give up on the hobby right away. On the other hand, the Phantom 3 Standard and the Phantom 4 are so fool proof and easy to fly that anybody with a little common sense should have 0 issue maintaining control. So much fun!

Anyway on to the questions.

1) Everything I've read seems to say that beginners should not use 'Sport' mode. I've heeded that advice so far but I have to ask why? As I understand it, the only difference in Sport mode is that the collision detection is disabled and you are allowed to fly much faster. Does the extra speed make it more possible to crash it? The areas where I fly are pretty flat and once I'm above the tree tops, there really aren't any obstacles So taking all obstacles out of the mix, is there anything about Sport Mode that would make me more likely to crash?

2) The range I'm getting on the Phantom 4 is significantly better than what I was getting on the Phantom 3 standard but it's still far less than what I read other posters on this board get. I'm not stating that there's a problem with the product. I'm sure this is operator error or some setting that I have wrong. In my suburban environment I can get around 2600ft of range at about 200ft altitude. It's pretty good range as far as I'm concerned but I see people on this board getting over a mile with the same unmodified equipment. Am I correct I'm assuming that the range is essentially the hypotenuse of the triangle made up of the distance and altitude? As such, I should be able to fly further at lower altitudes as long as I maintain line of sight, right? Would the presence of trees obstruct my signal? Is there any other settings that I could have incorrect?

3) I see lots of mention of Wind Surfer Antenna add-ons. Do these actually work? The thing I keep reading is if you turn while using a Wind Surfer you can lose communication but wouldn't that still instigate the RTH function regardless of how far away the drone has made it? Like if I had a Wind Surfer and made it like 20,000ft away and lost communication, I'd still be fine due to the RTH right?

Anyway in conclusion, I'm well aware that there is already a stickied thread for people to complain about range issues. I chose not to post in there because I don't want any of my questions to be construed as complaining. I love my Phantom 4 and am just trying to learn how to use it more effectively.

Hey everybody, I'm new to the world of drones so go easy on me.

I initially bought a cheapo Protocol Dronium. The one day I had it was quite frustrating trying to maintain control of the thing, being that I'm a novice but I was able to fly around a bit for it's 5 minute battery life without any significant crashing. Anyway, the next day the thing wouldn't even power up anymore. Perfect condition, not a scratch on it. I returned it and instead bought a Phanton 3 Standard. Thing flew amazingly, but didn't have enough range for me. It would only go about 300ft at around 200ft altitude before I'd get the return to home message. But so easy to fly!! Anyway I figured the lack of range was a combination of operator error, limitations of the technology and interference in the suburban parks I was flying in.

Anyway fast forward to yesterday, I returned the Phantom 3 Standard and purchased a Phantom 4.

My first observation with the Phantom 4 is that with drones, you certainly get what you pay for. The quality of the Phantom 4 is excellent. I highly recommend that anybody who is interested in getting into drone flying, to at minimum start with something like the Phantom 3 Standard. Trying to keep one of those cheap <$100 drones up in the air would be so frustrating for most new pilots that they would be likely to give up on the hobby right away. On the other hand, the Phantom 3 Standard and the Phantom 4 are so fool proof and easy to fly that anybody with a little common sense should have 0 issue maintaining control. So much fun!

Anyway on to the questions.

1) Everything I've read seems to say that beginners should not use 'Sport' mode. I've heeded that advice so far but I have to ask why? As I understand it, the only difference in Sport mode is that the collision detection is disabled and you are allowed to fly much faster. Does the extra speed make it more possible to crash it? The areas where I fly are pretty flat and once I'm above the tree tops, there really aren't any obstacles So taking all obstacles out of the mix, is there anything about Sport Mode that would make me more likely to crash?

2) The range I'm getting on the Phantom 4 is significantly better than what I was getting on the Phantom 3 standard but it's still far less than what I read other posters on this board get. I'm not stating that there's a problem with the product. I'm sure this is operator error or some setting that I have wrong. In my suburban environment I can get around 2600ft of range at about 200ft altitude. It's pretty good range as far as I'm concerned but I see people on this board getting over a mile with the same unmodified equipment. Am I correct I'm assuming that the range is essentially the hypotenuse of the triangle made up of the distance and altitude? As such, I should be able to fly further at lower altitudes as long as I maintain line of sight, right? Would the presence of trees obstruct my signal? Is there any other settings that I could have incorrect?

3) I see lots of mention of Wind Surfer Antenna add-ons. Do these actually work? The thing I keep reading is if you turn while using a Wind Surfer you can lose communication but wouldn't that still instigate the RTH function regardless of how far away the drone has made it? Like if I had a Wind Surfer and made it like 20,000ft away and lost communication, I'd still be fine due to the RTH right?

Anyway in conclusion, I'm well aware that there is already a stickied thread for people to complain about range issues. I chose not to post in there because I don't want any of my questions to be construed as complaining. I love my Phantom 4 and am just trying to learn how to use it more effectively.
2.4ghz is resonant frequency of water, trees are full of water and will absorb the signal, less interference higher up. Fly away from Wi-Fi networks too. Don't stand under a tree if there is a cow perching in it. Hope these tips help

Reactions: Copterman
Having used sports mode extensively (getting about 50 + mph) it's not really 'that' sporty if you compare it to a racing quad or 500 class scratch built multi. You could certainly reduce it to a pile of fragmented plastic if you were determined enough to regularly fly it in close proximity of large solid objects for fun!!

Even in sports mode it's still super stable, just takes a fair bit of time to brake and come to a hover from flat out.

Keep it higher than you normally would for a while and you'll be fine. Oh and it only goes as fast as you make it ;)

Having used sports mode extensively (getting about 50 + mph) it's not really 'that' sporty if you compare it to a racing quad or 500 class scratch built multi. You could certainly reduce it to a pile of fragmented plastic if you were determined enough to regularly fly it in close proximity of large solid objects for fun!!

Even in sports mode it's still super stable, just takes a fair bit of time to brake and come to a hover from flat out.

Keep it higher than you normally would for a while and you'll be fine. Oh and it only goes as fast as you make it ;)

This is exactly what I expected. Just from my understanding, Attitude is the mode that I want to avoid as an inexperienced pilot as then I'd be on my own to figure out how to stabilize it with environmental conditions rather than the IMU's doing all the brainwork for me. Maybe one day I'll be able to, but for now it will be P-mode and S-mode for me.

Can you switch modes mid-flight? (ie can I be up in the air, suddenly decide I want to do some sprinting in S-Mode, then come back to P-Mode to ensure a safe landing?)

P.S. Thank you for your replies everybody!

This is exactly what I expected. Just from my understanding, Attitude is the mode that I want to avoid as an inexperienced pilot as then I'd be on my own to figure out how to stabilize it with environmental conditions rather than the IMU's doing all the brainwork for me. Maybe one day I'll be able to, but for now it will be P-mode and S-mode for me.

Can you switch modes mid-flight? (ie can I be up in the air, suddenly decide I want to do some sprinting in S-Mode, then come back to P-Mode to ensure a safe landing?)

There is no problem in switching it mid-flight. Al least I do it and haven´t got problems with it. I usually take off and land in P-mode, but during flights use S-mode

Reactions: bdaphantom4
How could you possibly loose a drone that cannot fly more the 30m away from you ;-)

There have been reports of (I've seen 3) the home location changing during a flight. If your home spot jumps 500 away while your flying in beginner mode, the quad is going to fly away back to the new home location. Best way to prevent this is to not fly in beginner mode, and turn off the geo fence.

@ert102, for better range, select a custom channel, such as #21, whatever is the least busy. Then set the transmission quality to 4mbps. Buy a windsurfer ($15) to slip over your antennas. That should help a lot with your range.

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fly a little higher and slap on the windsurfers. That should do it.

You may have some misunderstanding about ATTI mode. Firstly the IMU is always stabilizing the craft in all modes. Drones are inherently unstable and without IMUs and flight controllers, none of them would stay in the air long. I suspect you are referring to the GPS. Flying in ATTI mode is not that difficult, but does take practice. It should be learned because there will come a time when you won't have a choice.

2.4ghz is resonant frequency of water, trees are full of water and will absorb the signal, less interference higher up. Fly away from Wi-Fi networks too. Don't stand under a tree if there is a cow perching in it. Hope these tips help
I was chuckling reading this because the cow comment had me thinking you were being facetious, but what you meant was crow, correct? That being said, 2.4ghz is not the natural resonant frequency of a water molecule. All molecules absorb or reflect microwave energy to varying degrees, so don't let anything block your LOS with the craft.

There have been reports of (I've seen 3) the home location changing during a flight. If your home spot jumps 500 away while your flying in beginner mode, the quad is going to fly away back to the new home location. Best way to prevent this is to not fly in beginner mode, and turn off the geo fence.
Yes I know about this, but the OP probably doesn't, so I was just trying to get him to elaborate. Yours is the better expanation.

Hi John, how does that work? I've never tried this. Is it done via the app, if you how would I go about changing these settings?

TIA

@ert102, for better range, select a custom channel, such as #21, whatever is the least busy. Then set the transmission quality to 4mbps. Buy a windsurfer ($15) to slip over your antennas. That should help a lot with your range.

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey guys. Does anyone have any knowledge of the performance of the
SKYREAT Copper Parabolic Antenna Range Booster?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj