Judging Altitude Before Mission

Reaction score
I live in very far western KY and I am wanting to send my PV2+ on her first Ground Station Mission. In my part of the country we have a lot of wooded rolling hills and valleys and I was wondering what would be an all around safe height to set my waypoint altitudes. I know to set my first waypoint above my home lock location as to avoid any trees as she makes her way to her first waypoint. I am just apprehensive to set a specific altitude fearing it may not be high enough to clear all the trees as she makes her way to each waypoint. Please keep in mind I am a Newbie to the sport and I am also horrible at judging height and distance. I am just trying to error on the side of caution. Any advice and as little hazing as possible (I expect some and don't offend easily, LOL) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Hmmm thats a difficult one not seeing the geography myself. Maybe you could get an ordanance map of your area and check out altitudes around your home point and subract the different altitudes around you to get an idea, only problem is the map wont account for trees. Another option is at home to use google earth and zoom in around the areas you will fly to get an idea. Probably the easiest way is to fly over these areas in gps mode and look at the altitude on your screen and write them down so if you set a waypoint there you will know the altitude. I'll keep thinking of some ideas.

I suppose the only sure way is to send it up in GPS mode and use the horizon as my judge. Once I get above the trees in GPS mode write that altitude down. My problem is that the trees may be on 60 to 80' but due to ground elevation and hillside could make that 60' tree at 150' due to the surrounding elevation. I considered just flying the open fields at 150' in ground station mode and just look around from there. This way if I were off there are no trees in the path. Thanks for the recommendations, I suppose there is no easy way to be certain.

Unfortunately no easy solution but it'll be a bit of trial and error. Even when you feel like you get your bearings and you set out on your waypoint mission just keep an eye on your bird whether by fpv or LOS and just be prepared to cancel the mission if she's getting close to some tree tops by flicking s1

I don't know about the foliage in western Kentucky, but assuming that it is similar to northeast Ohio, I have found that 100 feet (30 meters) will clear nearly any tree here (although the preset RTH altitude of 20 meters definitely will not). What you need to know now is the elevation of the ground beneath your waypoints, compared to the elevation of the ground at your home point. For that, you'll need a topographic map which you can compare to the map you use for your waypoints. Look here.

Werz said:
For that, you'll need a topographic map which you can compare to the map you use for your waypoints. Look here.

I believe you should be able to get the topographic maps thru your county in Kentucky, we can here in Indiana. Or you can just send her up and I'll run outside and tell you when you're high enough :shock:

Oh sorry you said DON'T haze you, I misunderstood. ;)

CarlJ said:
Werz said:
For that, you'll need a topographic map which you can compare to the map you use for your waypoints. Look here.

I believe you should be able to get the topographic maps thru your county in Kentucky, we can here in Indiana. Or you can just send her up and I'll run outside and tell you when you're high enough :shock:

Oh sorry you said DON'T haze you, I misunderstood. ;)

Thanks for the serious input and yes we can get topo's as I use them all the time for our hunting leases. That never even crossed my mind. As for the hazing part I am retired military and I know that all NOOBS are open for a certain level of hazing and I accept that completely as I am a NOOB when it comes to RC. Once again thanks for much. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers