joint/hinge longevity

Reaction score
Hello guys, 3DR solo owner here. I believe my current bird is still unrivaled for cinematography but I like traveling/hiking and after going through a dozen cities, I'm not a fan of lugging a full-sized MR. Needless to say, MavPro is super appealing for me right now.

Without a doubt, my biggest concern of a Mavic ownership is failure of the foldable joint within a year or so.

even worse would be it failing in mid-flight!

Is this anyone else's main concern? There's basically no real way to tellas I guess and generation 1 of Mavic/Karma owners will utlimately be the lab rats for foldable birds.

Cheers

DJI says it'll last at least 5,000 folds. Most people will never reach numbers like that under normal use.

I do wonder if the test could be realistic in that each unfolding won't be spaced out by flights which also stress the joints.
I think the cables inside might in some cases abrade or break completely from the repeated flexing.
However most users are unlikely to see any problems.
I'd probably avoid opening and closing more than needed.

I think it will stand the test of time. As long as you keep it out of a 4 yr olds hands or your name isn't Casey (he is rough with all his s**t) you should be fine

i've seen the 5000 figure floating around
didn't see it stated directly from DJI

Reactions: twitchyzero
i've seen the 5000 figure floating around
didn't see it stated directly from DJI
Btw welcome twitchy I had a solo as well, I had the solo ,gimbal 3 spare batts alpa antennas leg extenders bought them all on sept 19 . Love the drone great footage with my gp black but then the mavic was announced... just in time to take it back and pre order. As an mc rider ... portability wins carrying that backpack was a pain when added to a sport bike race position. I've seen the 5000 fold claim as well and imo 5000 folds = I got my money's worth and would be at the mavic pro v2 or v3 by then

If you unfold-fold a Mavic everyday,
5000 actuations equals 6.8 years!!!

I've had my P2 NV for just under 2.5 years now and there have been 4-6 NEW Phantom variants in that time.

This is a non-issue.

Reactions: msinger
If you unfold-fold a Mavic everyday,
5000 actuations equals 6.8 years!!!

I've had my P2 NV for just under 2.5 years now and there have been 4-6 NEW Phantom variants in that time.

This is a non-issue.

Even then, it is only a spring and a screw so unless the arm is broken, it can easily be fixed. Definitely a non-issue.

thanks for answering my question, and thanks for the welcome guys.

I really like the Solo, not so much the company that made them in retrospect and although Solo's community development is nice, there are too many stubborn fanboys at 3DRPliots.

I'm sure there will also be quite a few shortcomings with MavPro...but I'm confident DJI has somewhat of an idea how not to screw up a great platform.

Cheers.

thanks for answering my question, and thanks for the welcome guys.

I really like the Solo, not so much the company that made them in retrospect and although Solo's community development is nice, there are too many stubborn fanboys at 3DRPliots.

I'm sure there will also be quite a few shortcomings with MavPro...but I'm confident DJI has somewhat of an idea how not to screw up a great platform.

Cheers.

There are fan boys on every site. Some ppl just need to like what they like without throwing a jab at what someone else likes. It's just childish, everyone has a right to like what they like no need to put someone else down to prove it!

Can't wait to receive my order! Ordered mavic then 2 spare batts separately just in case it would have held my order back .... I figure every year something bigger and better (smaller in this case) will always come out so waiting just gives me less time to enjoy my new eye candy before I drool over the next newest model!

Have you ordered yours yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic