Joining the Club!

Reaction score
I just got back from a hobby store that bills itself as the largest distributer or multi-rotor RC aircraft in the world (I don't know if it's true or not, it's located in Atlanta, GA) and now I've got a DJI Phantom 2 Vision sitting on my desk! I was really hoping I could spring for a Phantom 2, gimbal, and FPV gear, but it was out of the price range and I enjoy the fact that my wife still likes me and I didn't want to ruin that just yet.

I'm looking forward to learning how to fly this thing and shoot some good video. My big goal is to shoot some training video and work (law enforcement) and sell the concept of an aerial video platform to my bosses for training and SWAT purposes.

Some questions:
Would you guys recommend the blade guards or are they really that necessary?
Are there any tips or pointers you'd recommend for a first time pilot of anything?

Thanks guys!

I have flown my phantom ver 1.1.1 without prop guards since I bought it 5 months ago with no problems. That said if you are fly close proximity to people and obstacles then they start to make sense.

GLOCKer said:
I just got back from a hobby store that bills itself as the largest distributer or multi-rotor RC aircraft in the world (I don't know if it's true or not, it's located in Atlanta, GA) and now I've got a DJI Phantom 2 Vision sitting on my desk! I was really hoping I could spring for a Phantom 2, gimbal, and FPV gear, but it was out of the price range and I enjoy the fact that my wife still likes me and I didn't want to ruin that just yet.

I'm looking forward to learning how to fly this thing and shoot some good video. My big goal is to shoot some training video and work (law enforcement) and sell the concept of an aerial video platform to my bosses for training and SWAT purposes.

Some questions:
Would you guys recommend the blade guards or are they really that necessary?
Are there any tips or pointers you'd recommend for a first time pilot of anything?

Thanks guys!

IMHO blade / prop guards are not necessary, however, spare props are. Never get so close that a prop would actually hurt someone / something and the only thing you have to worry about is breaking the prop's in an accident (Ex: poor landing or hitting a tree.)

There are a lot of tips, here are a few:
Start slow
Follow the checklists (especially the compass calibration and GPS LOCK before takeoff!!!)
You first flights should be with the quad pointed away from you so that left is left and right is right.
Make sure the GPS is LOCKED (blue with 6 or more sats) before taking off.
Keep it within visual range.
Check for 6 or more GPS lock before takeoff
Under normal circumstances, it's good practice to land before the battery drops below 25% or 30%.
Speaking of landing, when descending, go SLOW, if you descend too fast you might "land" whether you intended to or not.
Always a good idea to check for 6 or more satellites with a blue color icon before taking off.
Do not panic, when in doubt, let go of the sticks, the P2V will stop (accounting for some momentum) and hover.
One last thing, wait for GPS lock before taking off. Sometimes we are in a rush to show off our toy. Do not rush, go through your checklist and do not takeoff without GPS lock.

Have fun and happy flying

It has been said before but bears repeating......
GPS LOCK! - the most important single thing IMHO, and of course compass calibration is right there. It may seem simplistic but do the flight training in the manual in a nice open pitch or field. Avoid NAVA-M mode until you get proficient with Phantom mode, avoid the 'itch' until you're ready. If your bird gets out of sight or you get disorientated just remove your hands from the sticks, check your altitude and elevate the bird higher than any obstructions then just turn your transmitter off for RTH to kick in. You can let it return and land itself, or wait until it hovers above you and regain control by turning the controller back on and flipping the S1 toggle to the middle position. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the tips guys. I followed all of the start-up instructions exactly yesterday, and got my Phantom in the air without issues. I did have a close encounter with a bush yesterday, but luckily recovered it before the blades got anything more than some of the leaves. My wife also let the dogs outside while I was fooling around and I got a little closer to my German Shepherd than I am comfortable with.

Test Flight:
http://youtu.be/1LpPBSGNYGo
This thing has made me realize how much my dogs have destroyed my grass in the back yard!

Today I ordered a battery charger and eight AA batteries, as well as a GoProfessional case. And well, I'm a dork I guess. I also ordered a nice big vinyl DJI Phantom decal for the case too.

Can anybody tell me if there is a capacity limit for the SD card in the camera? It came with the 4 gig card of course, but can I upgrade it down the road? I've experienced that some electronic devices will only support SD cards of certain sizes.

Thanks!

I find that using Prop guards gives me a little more confidence in flying in tighter quarters, with threes poles and other obstacles in close proximity. Even though you should always be very careful when flying close to people the prop guards could in a worst case scenario maybe hindering personal injuries. Also in your first days of training save you some props.

GLOCKer said:
Can anybody tell me if there is a capacity limit for the SD card in the camera? It came with the 4 gig card of course, but can I upgrade it down the road? I've experienced that some electronic devices will only support SD cards of certain sizes.

Thanks!

I believe it's 32gig

GLOCKer said:

Thanks!

On page 19 of v1.14 of the manual it states the camera supports no greater than 32GB card.

Although you have successfully flown, my one suggestion is when you take off, take off full throttle and "pop" it off the ground quickly up to 6 feet or more. Otherwise, if you take off slowly, it has a tendency to tip over. I spazzed out and tipped mine over one time only. No damage though.

Thanks guys,
I found the manual on the DJI website and I'm printing it out to put in a binder. I'm thinking I'll eventually go with prop-guards once my wife gets over the sticker shock on the purchase of the phantom itself. :D

I've got yet another question! A software update came out on March 26th. Should I take care of that or just rock on with the current software?

Also, thank you guys for the help and good information. No one has yet said, "There is a search function. Use it!"

I can suggest if you are planning on flying it over a very long distance (out of sight) or planning to use it in auto pilot or waypoint mode (when it becomes available) I would suggest a cell network GPS tracker be attached. Skip the prop guards, just have extra props.

Also, definitely modify the range extender! You can get HUGE gains with just one external antenna. Also make sure your controller is changed to FCC mode (two beeps when it turns on).

jimdenburg said:
GLOCKer said:

Thanks!

I believe it's 32gig

I'm using a 32GB Class 10 Micro SD in mine. No issues at all.

Just read everything, watch everything, find a wide open area to learn to fly, ..learn to fly circle-8s and stuff, and over time you'll get better and better and more confident.
and stay away from trees, they're the biggest enemy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20