John A. Taylor sues FAA

Reaction score
Its amazing that one gentleman is going to take the FAA to task concerning the registration of the so called drones. Its also amazing that the AMA organization of 175,000 members strong didn't do this themselves, like Mr, Taylor said I'm passionate about this even though not being an aviation expert, he is a lawyer however. What kind of backbone does the AMA have and gives members and non misguided information about registration etc. Powerful they are not, I think we should support Mr. Taylor instead. Look this concerns everyone really so I suggest you pay attention, the next thing we will be told we cant breathe the very air without paying to do so. This isn't funny anymore, its not about people flying over the rules set, its about principle folks, I suggest everyone show some balls before you lose them, fight on stay vigilant or you will lose to the very government that is already strangling us. god bless , give your opinion

Reactions: sparky1111
Is it amazing or a huge waste of Mr. Taylor's money? I think the AMA would have already done the same if they knew they could win.

Reactions: BigAl07
I think what ever rules faa make as of now are unstable, dumb, ridiculous, merky.
If some one wants to do damage they will fly an unregistered drone. Next your not supposed to go over 400 feet but.what it you at a hill or a mountain. Next its stupid all the rules they put (333) to use your drone to take photos.
Its an unstable situation and its gana create alot of conflicts before it crashes

I think what ever rules faa make as of now are unstable, dumb, ridiculous, merky.
Next your not supposed to go over 400 feet but.what it you at a hill or a mountain.
That's why it's 400 feet AGL and not just 400 feet.

You actually think AMA cares about quad owners?
I don't think it's their primary concern, but many AMA members on this forum think they care deeply about quad owners.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
It should be noted that Mr. Taylor, along with his federal complaint, also filed a motion for a temporary injunction which would keep the FAA from enforcing the registration. The motion was summarily denied by the Court. Can't read too much or too little into this action by the Court. The next filing is due January 27

A Federal court protecting a Federal agency. It's a new world......................... your apathy to everything political has allowed the behemoth to grow beyond all constraints.

Reactions: JKDSensei
It should be noted that Mr. Taylor, along with his federal complaint, also filed a motion for a temporary injunction which would keep the FAA from enforcing the registration. The motion was summarily denied by the Court. Can't read too much or too little into this action by the Court. The next filing is due January 27
Jan 27, That is still before the Feb deadline .. let's hope for the best.

I should clarify that once a complaint is filed, the court has a procedurally scheduled next filing date set for the defendant to file either its Answer, a motion for an expansion of time, or a pleading for the case to be dismissed under the many subsections of Rules of Civil Procedure 12.
In this case I would bet on an alternative pleading to be filed. The primary would likely be a motion to dismiss the complaint or, in the alternative, a motion for an expansion of time.

That's why it's 400 feet AGL and not just 400 feet.
I think some have valid points about height issues flying from a cliff top over a valley and instantly be over 400 feet is an issue. But the 400 feet is a height to separate other air traffic that is not taking off and landing because they are supposed to maintain at least 500 feet AGL. So there is a 100 feet buffer the FAA is trying to maintain between other air traffic and sUAS.

The issue is NOT whether or not there needs to be a registry or whether or not some things make sense.

The issue is we have a government that does not follow its own laws. The FAA broke the law on two points. Both of which are what John A Taylor is suing for.

DC area drone users has a contribution page, and I have contributed.

One person said "if the AMA thought they could win, they would do this" If everyone did anything just because they were sure they would win, we would not have anything.

We would not even have the United States of America, and the July 4th holiday. We would still be a British colony....

One person said "if the AMA thought they could win, they would do this" If everyone did anything just because they were sure they would win, we would not have anything.
I'm not saying nothing should be done about this. My point is that the AMA is probably smarter than Mr. Taylor. And, therefore probably has a better plan of action in the works. It makes no sense to dump a bunch of money into a pot for someone that just wants to make their voice heard.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'm not saying nothing should be done about this. My point is that the AMA is probably smarter than Mr. Taylor. And, therefore probably has a better plan of action in the works. It makes no sense to dump a bunch of money into a pot for someone that just wants to make their voice heard.

I am an AMA member. However, I think the AMA leadership is comprised of old men who no longer have the ambition or gumption to fight for what is right.

I think they are in the phase of their lives when they seek comfort.

The AMA better start paying REALLY close attention to camera drones, because that is the way of the future, not model airplanes.

They better start raising a fuss because they will be loosing members. If they really did raise a fuss, they would have a chance to greatly INCREASE their membership.

Again, if everyone had a defeatist attitude like you illustrate in your writing, nothing would ever be done.

Some fights are worth fighting, and lawyers give John A. Taylor pretty good odds.

Reactions: JKDSensei
My point is that the AMA is probably smarter than Mr. Taylor.
Based on what? Is there proof that you have where AMA could do more? If that was the case, AMA wouldn't have been caught by surprise pants around their ankles when they were included in registration process.

I am an AMA member. However, I think the AMA leadership is comprised of old men who no longer have the ambition or gumption to fight for what is right.
I agree 100%.

Again, if everyone had a defeatist attitude like you illustrate in your writing, nothing would ever be done.

Some fights are worth fighting, and lawyers give John A. Taylor pretty good odds.
Yes, considering Mr Taylor happens to be a lawyer himself.
We need more lawyers to get involved and enjoy the hobby. They would help protect it.

I make decisions based on facts and reasoning. Since the AMA has done nothing of the sort, it seems John A. Taylor might be making decisions based on anger and excessive money problems.

Let's hope they are right :)
I wish I had his problems.:(

Reactions: msinger
Based on what?
Based on the fact that the AMA is a large organization that has spent a lot of time working with the FAA in the past.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj