Jiggery video feed and limited controller distance

Reaction score
I just picked up a P4P+ and I am having issue with the video feed and the controller range. Let me start out by saying I have owned a P1, P2 and a P3P so I am familiar with the type of performance these other units get. My video feed starts jumping/freezing when the unit is still very close. Not sure of the exact distance the video feed starts screwing up but I would guess it is in the range of few hundred feet. I also am loosing both video and control signal at a relative short distance. Around a 1/2 to 3/4 mile. I know the range is affected by lots of factors but it seems the P4P has less range than my P3P and when I loose the signal it takes a while (30 seconds) to get it back. With the P3P I could usually move the controller/antennas around and get the signal back. The loose of signal seems much more digital (good signal goes completely dead quickly) with the P4P. Maybe this is a result of it having the two different WiFi bands. Perhaps when it losses signal it starts scanning to other WiFi band. Just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem. Trying to decide if I should send this unit back. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting some issues with my video feed too, at relatively close range, although it's not always an issue, just sometimes. I too have beena P2V+ and a P3P guy so I know what to expect. When I say my issue is a sometimes, I can't figure out why, as I've been flying in the same area for the few flights I've had it since weather up here hasn't been very cooperative for flying much. Some flights the video is smooth and others it is buggy, and freezes for a second or two before resuming.

Took my P4P out yesterday to take a look at some ocean liners using my normal tablet on the controller and feed was very choppy and had the same behaviour as you spoke of and I deemed it un-flyable at location so brought it in to land. during a pit-stop and refreshments I swapped my tablet for my wife's tablet and was completely different and no issues at all? Do you have a different tablet or phone to try and see if there is any difference?

DJI_0003.MP4_snapshot_01.55_[2017.04.02_18.04.51].jpg

Mine is the P3P+ so it has the display built into the controller. One would think that the DJI app would run well on their own display.

Mine is the P3P+ so it has the display built into the controller. One would think that the DJI app would run well on their own display.
Yeah, I got the Plus, as well. But in their defense, it is their first "Android Device". And I expect it will get a bit better via the future updates.
I still prefer mine over using a tablet, but I have not had the issues some have.

I tested my unit out with the WiFi set to 2.4 GHz instead of the 5.8 GHz and I had smoother video and better range. Did not get way out but had solid video feed to about 6000' and pretty solid video out to 6800'. Turned around at that point. I flew from home so I turned off my home WiFi before I flew just to make sure that did not interfere.

I'm wondering if DJI can do something with the next updates to make Android devices in particular run more smoothly. I hear that Apple devices generally behave better. My only concern is that the more updates we have and the harder we push our beloved Phantom's the more processing power our phones and tablets are going to need to keep up. I'm in awe every time I send my bird up and it returns bang in the middle of the landing pad and even more so when I then review the data. Happy flying chaps!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj