Jerky images poor quality images.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just started using my new phantom 4. I'm finding the images on video to be jerky and pixelated. Could you please give me any pointers as to may be set up or any other info.
As this is my first drone.

Chris.

Hi guys, I have just started using my new phantom 4. I'm finding the images on video to be jerky and pixelated. Could you please give me any pointers as to may be set up or any other info.
As this is my first drone.

Chris.
Are you shooting 4k? What are you trying to play the video on? Is it atraight from SD or have you copied the files to a drive first?

Are you shooting 4k? What are you trying to play the video on? Is it atraight from SD or have you copied the files to a drive first?
I wasn't shooting 4K but at a slightly lower res. I copied the files to my laptop and have been editing it in windows movie maker.

I have now shot some 4K footage and still the same problem. My settings on the camera are 4K Shooting Pal. / MP4.

And it won't allow me to edit in movie maker.

I believe Movie Maker limits you to only 1080 & maybe just 720. As far the stuttering video. You need a relatively new computer with a fast processor, lots if RAM, & a good graphics card to work with 4K video. You also need a monitor or display device capable of displaying 4K video to appreciate the 4x resolution over standard 1080 HD. You may be better served by recording video in 1080 if you have an older/slower computer. The files are smaller + easier to work with as well.

I have now shot some 4K footage and still the same problem. My settings on the camera are 4K Shooting Pal. / MP4.

And it won't allow me to edit in movie maker.

Try uploading a short clip to youtube and playing it on a tv, that's how I watch my videos as my laptop isn't up to the job.

Reactions: Tophertello
Of course copied must be from sdcard you remove from P4, not from any source from idevice/Droid (ie recorded video LOG stream, if related option enabled).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Check some of the Youtube videos by Fredrick Hagan. He has a lot explaining the processing of video off the Phantoms and output. Some of the correct settings can be confusing, but he does a good job sorting it all out.

Frederick Hagan

Hi Chris, I am experiencing the same issues , video quality really poor and jerky. I'm new also to drone flying but I expected much more from the camera for video and picture taking. I have only tried this weekend to fly and getting errors coming up like vision system error , if I reboot app it goes away but then comes back . Are you getting this also ?

Are you guys TOTALLY sure you have removed ALL of the gimbal security guards and lens protectors from the factory? Check again. :)

Hey Wilson , ok , I will humour you incase I havent and because new to this forum ... lol :) When unboxing my P4 , I removed the plastic camera protector that hold the camera in place to avoid damage ( attachs to landing gear and also a foam gaurd that sits between the gimble and the body of the P4 . There was no protective coating on the camera lens i checked and double checked that ,have I missed something ?
I dont have an issue flying the drone and it seems to respond well but the video and picture quality is poor and not even close to HD nevermind 4K ..... I am also having the following issues : -

Video jumpy - not clear on screen , intermittent lines across screen almost like multi colour bars so not sure if weak signal or not .
Still image quality - again poor like the video , looks blurred , not sharp and crisp as expected
System vision error - Getting an error along the top of the screen ( where GPS - safe to fly comment is on screen ) , again intermittent
I read on forums to take out the memory card and watch it directly on computer , but when i do this it says video not readable on computer and I have a high powered computer . I can only see the video my tablet i am using as the screen when i fly , it seems the video is transmitted back to this when recording but doesnt seem to be readable from the memory card that came with my P4 .

Any advice would be appreciated . I am about to phone the company i purchased from this morning and ask for a replacement or a refund as its only 7 days old . I will also call DJI themselves to see if it is a USER error :)

what file extension is the "video not readable" on your sd card?How many MB? What video settings are you using? Could you upload the log for us to see?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

OK - Update :) I eventually managed to get the memory card from the P4 to play on laptop . The video that was initially jumpy and not clear at all looks very detailed when watching directly on my laptop and 100 times better than watching back on the tablet . The still pictures arent good and blurry but this could be down to crappy camera settings by me and i will pay around with that . Is it possible my issues are with the software and not the actual drone itself ?? The tablet I am using with my drone is samsung galaxy tab 4 s Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5-inch Tablet - (ARM Exynos 5 Octa-Core 1.9GHz, 3GB RAM ) , I would have thought this would be powerful enough to run on the drone , its not a cheapo tablet and decent spec .

Also , Is the DJI Go App prone to issues ?

I was just asking. There is a piece of film over the lens that is very easy to miss (If you don't remember removing it, guess what.). There is also a piece of foam (I think) right behind the gimbal that a LOT of people miss, including me, the first time because it appears to belong there. I actually had to look a couple of times before I even realized it was there. Just thought I'd ask because it's actually pretty common. :)

OK - Update :) I eventually managed to get the memory card from the P4 to play on laptop . The video that was initially jumpy and not clear at all looks very detailed when watching directly on my laptop and 100 times better than watching back on the tablet . The still pictures arent good and blurry but this could be down to crappy camera settings by me and i will pay around with that . Is it possible my issues are with the software and not the actual drone itself ?? The tablet I am using with my drone is samsung galaxy tab 4 s Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5-inch Tablet - (ARM Exynos 5 Octa-Core 1.9GHz, 3GB RAM ) , I would have thought this would be powerful enough to run on the drone , its not a cheapo tablet and decent spec .

Also , Is the DJI Go App prone to issues ?

If you are referring to the photos and videos while viewing in the DJIGo app, those are not the full quality files. You have to pull the full quality from the card, either wirelessly or by pulling the card and reading it on tablet or computer. When you pull up a photo in DJIGo, it gives you the option of loading the full res version to your tablet. Make sure you do that to see the highest quality, not the preview version.

The video/photo playback on the tablet are just the cached med-res files stored on it, not from the drone's SD card.

For photos, try and get your shutter speed up to around 1/120" or faster (esp on windy days) by increasing the ISO. This will help reduce any blurs caused by vibrations/movement of the drone. Keep in mind, going above ISO200, you starting getting noise in your photos.

To get the max detail esp shadow details, set your photo settings to:

Image Size - 4:3
Image Format - RAW (saves to a DNG file)
White Balance - you call but AWB can be adjusted easily in post
Style - Custom -2,-2,-2 (works for me)
Color - D-LOG

Import your images into Lightroom and do your adjustments ie sharpen/contrast/saturation etc.

Reactions: konidair
I was just asking. There is a piece of film over the lens that is very easy to miss (If you don't remember removing it, guess what.). There is also a piece of foam (I think) right behind the gimbal that a LOT of people miss, including me, the first time because it appears to belong there. I actually had to look a couple of times before I even realized it was there. Just thought I'd ask because it's actually pretty common. :)
Hey Wilson , and you were right to ask ! Its typical of something i would do when in a rush hehe I was actually surprised no piece of film over the lens and i looks a number of times .. weird , thanks for your comments ! :)

If you are referring to the photos and videos while viewing in the DJIGo app, those are not the full quality files. You have to pull the full quality from the card, either wirelessly or by pulling the card and reading it on tablet or computer. When you pull up a photo in DJIGo, it gives you the option of loading the full res version to your tablet. Make sure you do that to see the highest quality, not the preview version.
Thanks for the info & the tip !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4