Jello - not seen this before in 6 months of flying??

Reaction score
Just updated my P2V+ to 3.12 firmware and took it out for a test flight today.

I noticed straight away on tracking shots there was a lot of jello effect disturbing the video (especially around 20 seconds into the video)
Has anyone seen this kind of thing? I never noticed anything like this before? The weather was good with only a little wind.

Could it be the 3.12 firmware causing it?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ75ZmsNX4M[/youtube]

Re: Wavy Video after 3.12 Firmware Update?

I wouldn't put it past DJI to screw up your camera with an update but that wave motion is called "Jello". You can google it. It's a really common visual artifact that affects all quads. It's caused by high speed vibration.

Lots of possible causes. There's another thread on here talking about a missing shock absorber ring inside the camera so that could be the issue. Take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=36005&p=333411&hilit=ring#p333421

It could also be caused by improperly balanced props. Even a bit of a nick in a prop can do it - anything that produces vibration. Swapping out your props for new ones might help.

Once I took off my camera and put it back on with Zip ties rather than the proper drop pins. The zip's weren't super tight but tight enough to transmit vibration to the camera. Replacing the Zip ties with much looser zip's did the trick but eventually I ordered a new set of drop pins and that was the best.

Finally the Jello effect is worst on very bright days and flying into the sun. Not only do you get Jello but you also get those horizontal bands. Yuck.

An ND filter can reduce both of those. Can't swear this is the best one but it's an example of what to look for. Maybe others can chime in with suggestions.

http://ragecams.com/shop/filter-phantom ... p-757.html

I think regardless of what you do you are going to see some Jello from time to time.

Re: Wavy Video after 3.12 Firmware Update?

Hmm it's just that I've had the P2V+ for 6 months and have recorded a lot of video and never seen this before... it looks awful. The Phantom has never had even a hard landing and the props are not marked! I do have a spare set that I've never used that came with the bird - I'll try that and see if it makes any difference.

Confused!

Re: Jello Effect - never seen this in 6 months??

Hi, if you havent done it yet try update camera FW to 1.3.0g. i did, and it made huge deference to my cams overall performance.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm all up to date with firmware for camera and bird. I've just got my new props out ready to try tomorrow!

I have NOT updated to 3.12 on 3.08 and I occasionally get a little jello. Normally does not last long and I edit it out.

check your gain settings in the Phantom assist. Note them before hitting the default button.
The earlier firmware's have a different default gain setting than the later.
unfortunately the firmware updates don't change the gains. You have to click the default button.

Mako79 said:
check your gain settings in the Phantom assist. Note them before hitting the default button.
The earlier firmware's have a different default gain setting than the later.
unfortunately the firmware updates don't change the gains. You have to click the default button.

That sounds interesting.
Could those "old" gain settings have a possible impact on the jello effect with later firmware?

Have you checked the rubber isolators (balls) off the gimbal? I've had mine tear from use, allowing it to rest on the anti-drop pins... Unless you're living in a valley, your horizon appears to drop off on the left....

I had the same jello affect with my GoPro 3+ Black. I had been using the 1080 24FPS and it was so bad. I changed the camera settings to 1080 30FPS and the jello affect went away.

RichWest said:
Have you checked the rubber isolators (balls) off the gimbal? I've had mine tear from use, allowing it to rest on the anti-drop pins... Unless you're living in a valley, your horizon appears to drop off on the left....
How can we check if rubber balls are in good condition or not? Mine seems perfect but sometimes I've choppy video but not jello...

StevenQX said:
RichWest said:
How can we check if rubber balls are in good condition or not? Mine seems perfect but sometimes I've choppy video but not jello...

It's a visual inspection, it should be obvious that one or more are torn if an issue. Or you could have an anti drop pin too tight, not allowing the gimbal plate to float on the rubber dampeners (balls).

Choppy could mean a lot of things, a video example is always helpful to let others see what you are seeing.

RichWest said:
StevenQX said:
RichWest said:

It's a visual inspection, it should be obvious that one or more are torn if an issue. Or you could have an anti drop pin too tight, not allowing the gimbal plate to float on the rubber dampeners (balls).

Choppy could mean a lot of things, a video example is always helpful to let others see what you are seeing.
Thanks Rich, look for example in this video when I rotate at 26 sec. from tree view to building view...seems that there is a framerate drop, that's what I mean with choppy... I don't know if it is the exact English word. This video has been recorded at 1080p 30fps with latest FC200 1.3.0g firmware.

http://vimeo.com/121718283

Mori55 said:
Props balanced ? I'd check that first.
Thanks for the answer mori (you helped me a lot also with IOC and HL not working many many thanks) is it possible to have a link to a video or something else where is explained how to balance the 9450 propellers? Thanks again

Mori55 said:
You can buy this. http://rcpilotsupply.com/products/speedy-prop-balancer
Also have you tried putting new props on ? They're normally good out of the box. Also I think the isolators should be replaced every now and then. You have extra ones in the box when you bought your phantom. Just switch them out.
Yes, I've to pairs of new props inside the box and 4 new rubber...but I was thinking my p2v+ is quiet new (dec2014) and has only 15-20 flight done...it is not strange that rubber isolators are already not good?

StevenQX said:
Mori55 said:
You can buy this. http://rcpilotsupply.com/products/speedy-prop-balancer
Also have you tried putting new props on ? They're normally good out of the box. Also I think the isolators should be replaced every now and then. You have extra ones in the box when you bought your phantom. Just switch them out.
Yes, I've to pairs of new props inside the box and 4 new rubber...but I was thinking my p2v+ is quiet new (dec2014) and has only 15-20 flight done...it is not strange that rubber isolators are already not good?

My reply regarding the isolators was to the OP, you asked within the thread, so I answered your question....assumed you were experiencing the same.

I do see the "choppy" imaging in your video, like you said it appears to be dropping frames as you yaw the bird. This could be a Vimeo conversion issue, I had dropped it out of HD quality and much of it was gone. My question, how does original video look directly from your computer?

Really you have stomped on someone else's thread, maybe you should start another since your issue appears sourced by other cause than the OP. Great video scape you had, what are those trees?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.